Recent Posts

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sometimes, computers drive me nuts...

I do most of my internet and computer related "stuff" with my lap top now. It enables me to still be with my girls and see what they are doing, and be upstairs at bedtime to ensure that the two year old does not get up and start looking for me. (the other computer is downstairs).

Well, two days ago, I tried to download a program onto my laptop. (Winmx) I was told that there were some people on there in a chat room that my mom talked too and were saying somethings that perhaps would shed some more light on her passing, or perhaps could just share some nice things about my mom. I tried downloading it from some site....nothing happened... then I tried again.. nothing.,.. I tried another site, got it downloaded, installed it and could not get it to connect. I even tried downloading the program on my computer downstairs in the hope of being able to use it on that one since it was directly hooked into the internet. Nope.. not working. Oh well, lesson learned, program uninstalled.

Then I start getting screwy things happening with the computer..its working slower, its not navigating the internet as well. Google shut my account down temporarily saying suspicious activity was happening (I had to call in and verify that I was the right person on the account and they give you a verification code to enter to unlock it. I searched everything in my inbox, and can not locate that anyone has been in there. I ran everything I could possibly thing on the computer to clean it up and look for virus, spyware, malware...etc.. everything is coming up clean. I have bought new software to clean up the computer and check and again everything is saying its fine.. I even changed my password (which I can't see how anyone would have gotten in the first place?) So if any of you "computer savy" people can help I would be grateful!

I had no internet at all on the lap top yesterday so could not reply to any emails at all at night. The computer downstairs was running so slow that you would have sworn it was at least 30 years old! So I think that I might have to give in and take it in somewhere to have them clean it up and fix this for me!

On another note, I was at a birthday party today, and they were talking about James Van Praugh is coming to town (about a 2 hour drive from me). Its a smaller more intimate venue so I am hoping I can go. I really like him! Perhaps my mom will come through for him to say hi!

So please give me a few days to get this computer issues under control so if I am late replying to your email, this would be why!

Blog contest to follow in the next few days. I wont be able to offer the web cam readings for a little while. Although very successful and alot of fun, I really think that its a disadvantage that I am on the west coast. Which means that the time frame I am available right now, everyone else is probably asleep. When things get more organized later in the year with the kids in school I should be able to offer this during the day which I think would work so much better!

2 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds like the program gave you some nasty registry changes on top of the malware. First, make sure you go through your control panel and click on add/remove programs and delete out anything that you don't want or need. Then I would get a good antivirus/spybot program to do a sweep of your drives. I'm a fan of AVG but there are others out there that'll do the job. Make sure that your windows firewall is on and you have updated to the latest service pack and security updates too. Good luck!

maybel56 said...

The best advice that I can offer for the computer problems is to invest in a Mac. I used a PC for years and always had problems like you describe. After many hours, dollars and lost time, I got a Mac. I've been using it now for over 1 year, and have NEVER had a single problem with speed, viruses or anything of the sort. Good luck!