Recent Posts

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Now that was SCARY!

Last night, myself, my husband and my daughter all headed to my dad's side of the family christmas reunion. We really don't get to see this side of the family very often and usually works out to once every few years unless a special event comes into play. So even with the snow warning in affect, and the 1.5-2 hour drive ahead of us, we set out. Before we left I asked my husband if we should go, as the television says that there was a chance of up to 15cm ( from what I was told every 3cm is an inch) and because they said it would happen "overnight" we headed out.

we got there, it was snowing about halfway out there, but not bad, my husband was driving so it certainly was easier! We made it to the party no problem! Had a good time, visited with everyone I haven't seen in what seemed like ages.

Anyways, we left at 9:30pm and headed out for home (normally we would not have left until much later!) And I was driving as my husband had a few beers. (he was sober, but I like to drive when hes had anything to drink)

We are about half way home and the snow is so bad that I can barely see the road! I was probably going only like 40km on a road I otherwise do 120km on, and I could barely see! I sometimes get vertigo like symptoms, especially at night while driving and if its snowing or raining. I have good peripheral vision so I tend to see other things as well other than just on the road. So not only could I see the snow coming straight at us, the wind blowing the snow on the road the opposite direction and the lights coming from the opposite direction of traffic going the other way. This is not a good combination when all you are trying to do is see the road, which was pretty much white at this point!

Did I mention I also get car sick? This was not helping! I actually started crying because I was so scared that I might drive us off the road. There was only 20 minutes left before getting home, and we had already been driving for 1.5 hours and I just couldn't see anymore!! I literally had to pull over and let my husband drive the rest of the way home so we could actually get there. Had it just been me and my daughter in the car, I would have pulled to the side of the road and waited till it was not snowing so bad anymore!!!

So needless to say I will NEVER do that again! (drive in snow conditions where you can barely see in front of you)

its still snowing here, my daughter is excited as my husband has promised to take her outside to build a snowman, and then we also plan on putting up our christmas tree! Should be fun today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living north of Seattle in Brier, WA, I think we received some of the same weather that you did. I would definitely be freaked out in your position because I really don't like driving in snowy conditions either. Being from Los Angeles originally, I am so not use to it. I'm glad that you and your family made your way home safely and that you got a chance to see some other family last night that you normally don't get to see. That's always a nice opportunity. Happy Holidays!

Lynn said...

Hey Cheri

OMG, I am like that too. I hate driving in snowy weather. I remember once going from Calgary to Edmonton and we came into a snow storm. My husband drove, and I thought that's it were gonners because we could not see anything. I remember being behind this semi, but didn't see it because of snow. Only the tail lights (which means we were driving too close), we made it home fine but god never again. Another time was we were driving in Saskatchewn, and it was -45. (Me originally being from southern Ontario I never felt it that cold) Anyway we were going to my mother in laws house in the middle of nowhere, and the car's engine light came on. ( Talk about freek out. ) Thought our car was gonna die and us too. Glad your okay, and you had a good visit! Lynn