Recent Posts

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Would you buy the fertility drug Clomid online?

Trying to get pregnant is such a joyful, exciting decision for most of us. When you first start on your journey of trying to conceive, anticipation and happiness are probably your main emotions. Then, with each month and each negative pregnancy test, those emotions turn into something darker, into sadness, and frustration.

If you have been trying to get pregnant for over a year, or if you have already been diagnosed with fertility problems like not ovulating, or a short luteal phase, your have probably been there. I know I have. You have typed “Clomid” or even “Buy Clomid” into Google, and have been surprised at how many websites offer this popular fertility drug at a low cost.

Buying the fertility drug Clomid online is easy, and websites offering Clomid seem to pop up everywhere, like mushrooms after the rain. But make no mistake, Clomid is not for everyone, and it has side effects. Clomid can be a great solution for women who are anovulatory, and buying it online, without any hassle, can seem so tempting.

But what are the dangers of buying Clomid from an online pharmacy?

There are plenty of reasons why Clomid should be a prescription-only drug. Of course, not everyone trying to get pregnant has problems with ovulating, or has a Luteal Phase Defect. If these are not the causes of infertility, then Clomid does more harm then good.

Clomid side effects don’t just include your normal, run of the mill side effects that go with every medication. Those are there too, of course – Clomid can make you feel nauseous, can make you vomit, causes headaches in some people, and hot flushes, uterine bleeding and a blurred vision are not uncommon either. But Clomid can also cause ovarian cysts, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome and even, when used incorrectly, ovarian cancer.

It is essential to get the dose of Clomid right, and to never use it for extended periods of time. If one of the rarer and nastier side effects of Clomid does rear its ugly face, I know that I would be beyond grateful to have my doctor there to treat it. I don’t even want to think about taking a drug that I think is Clomid, but that is something totally different, all because I decided to buy it from an online “pharmacy”.

How about you? Have you ever thought about buying Clomid online? Have you gone one step further, and actually done it? Or were you prescribed Clomid by your doctor, and suffered side effects? What are your experiences and opinions on this topic?

6 comments:

Jaclin said...

I took Clomid for 3 months and WOWWWWWW!!! I was working days at the time, 6a-6p. So, between getting up at 4am and sometimes not getting home till midnight, Clomid made my life hell!

I would fall asleep while driving, so I would have to get out of my patrol car and walk around. I had hot flashes like crazy, which lucky me I was taking Clomid during the summer. Texas summers are HOT! I took Clomid right before bed, so I never had any nausea problems. I was just so freak'n tired all of the time. I do not miss Clomid AT ALL! It did not work for me though, because of my Stage IV Endo. It was pretty much pointless and a waste of money, since my tubes have severe scaring.

I knew of girls buying Clomid online or other countries, but I didn't. I was self-pay and bought it through a local pharmacy. It may be ok to do so, but I don't like to take chances with medications unless I am sure of what I am getting.

Jaclin said...

Oh....and I forgot to throw this in: I do think it should be prescription only and heavily monitored. I say this because you don't know how many sites or conversations I have heard, where women are getting Clomid just to increase their chances of having multiples because they think it would be "cool." I think it it sad that people feel this way. Yes, having multiples is cool and great, I wish mine were still alive. But, the added stress your body goes through and the babies go through should not be done "just because."

If you are going through infertility, then it is a risk you take. But don't take the drugs because you simply think multiples are cool and everyone will think you are cool. It should be because it was meant to be.

Krystal said...

It definitely should be monitored. I used it for a while, given to me by an ob/gyn who would do nothing more then prescribe it. I was warned of OHS and all the fun stuff. Thankfully never had any issues beyond being very hormonal (emotional) near my period times and dizzy (so that's why I took it at night). However it would have been nice if they did ultrasounds to see if it was doing any good - if I had follicles, how many, how they were growing, etc. Thankfully this next round of clomid I found myself someone who will monitor me.

Anonymous said...

I've had a prescription for Clomid in my purse since Nov of last year. I have unexplained infertility & have been trying for a year so my RE gave me Clomid as a 1st step even though I don't think she even thought it would work since she said after that we would do IUI. I O late and a little irregulary but I do O on my own every month and I don't have a luteal phase defect and so I just didn't see the point in trying Clomid. If I did try it my RE said I would have to come in for bloodwork and an ultrasound to make sure my ovaries weren't over-stimulated so Clomid isn't something to take lightly even if it is handed out like candy. I also don't produce much EWCM and Clomid usually makes that even worse. So I'm trying acupuncture instead but sometimes when I'm down I do think about getting that prescription filled and doing it without the ultrasound (my insurance won't cover it) but in the end I don't think I could go through with it. There's an acupuncture book, the Infertility Cure, where it discusses how patients with certain diagnosis will most likely not respond to Clomid; I can't think of all the symptoms of those people off hand but I think that usually people that have the most adverse side affects from Clomid end up being the ones that it doesn't work for as well. One other little known thing about Clomid for anyone that has to buy their own health insurance -- most health insurance companies won't cover you for 5 years from the last time you've taken Clomid. By the way, nice to meet you Tania. :-) Danielle T.

Tania said...

Hi girls!
Danielle, nice to meet you too! :)
I agree with you about everything you've said... many people take these things too easy: pop a pill and a problem goes away... and yes, Clomid it handed out like a candy, but please it is not as simple as that... It is best to be careful about medications, do not buy them online, talk to your doctor, if possible get a second opinion, and of course do your own research.

Parag said...

Clomid may cause drowsiness and blurred vision during the four days it's taken each month. Symptoms usually disappear after the last dose is taken each month. For a few rare cases, Clomid may cause ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome. This causes the ovaries to enlarge and can cause abdominal pain and nausea. In a few extreme cases of OHSS, ovaries have ruptured. This is why it is so important that a physician closely monitor any person taking Clomid.
Clomid fertility drug