Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The memories of Christmas

Something that is obviously going to be on my mind alot this year.. For those of you who have lost a loved one....what did you do for the first holiday or special event in your life where they were "missing" from?

For me, Christmas was ALWAYS my mom's most favorite time of year. She would wish like crazy that it would snow on christmas morning. She did not mind if it snowed any other day of the year, but Christmas was a "must". For those of you that know I live in British Columbia (Canada) I am on the lower mainland area, and we live near a "rain forest". Enough to be able to tell you that if you lived here, you would know that it rains here ALOT. So for us to get freezing temperatures or alot of snow is not very likely (although we do get some). So for it to actually snow on christmas day, is not always likely. In fact if I am not mistaken, there are a few department stores that if it does snow over a certain amount on christmas day, certain things are free! Thats how confident they are!

Well.... every year we would get together for dinner. I would call my mom in the morning (She would often be the first one awake, and extremely excited and waiting for us to call her when we woke up) We would talk about what we all got, she would talk to the kids, and then we would meet somewhere for christmas dinner (either my house or my sisters). This year.. thats not going to happen. I'm not going to open a present that is labeled from "tigger" (my mom's cat, as she insisted her cat did her own shopping and picked it out) Or the TONS of presents for the girls that I would insist she did not need to buy. My mom was like a little kid... this year.. I am going to miss that...

So... to make sure that I am having a good time with my family this christmas, and not being miserable and crying my eyes out... what are good ways of having a good time, yet still remembering my mom at this time of year....

I was also trying to find an ornament or something, that I can either engrave or perhaps store some of her ashes in? That way she would always be apart of christmas. Wasn't sure if anyone has come across something like that?

I would love to hear what you have done to make that special holiday more bearable...and well....happy!

3 comments:

Katie said...

The year that my grandpa died, my grandma did something really fun for all of us at Christmas. He was an avid golfer and loved the yellow golf balls because they were easier for him to find. My grandma glued ribbons on several dozen yellow golf balls and hung them all over the tree. Then, as we were each leaving her house after Christmas dinner, she gave us each a golf ball ornament and told us that grandpa would be with us every Christmas.

Lynn said...

Yeah the first Christmas without my mom was hard. I can not lie. She used to have a bunch of little gifts for my kids and yeah there was definitly something missing. We tried to make it special. Christmas dinner we had mom's favorite colored candles and we lit them in memory of her. One of my girlfriends stayed with us that year and she lost her mom years prior so this was also for her mom too. Just know she's with you in spirit (as hard as that is she would really want you to enjoy the day!) Hugs!
Lynn

kate said...

Holidays are always difficult without loved ones, especially the first one. In our family we have a special 'toast' to my Dad then we each take turns to say something we're Thankful for.