Recent Posts

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Update about my dr appt.

Every thursday from now till baby comes, I have a prenatal appt. Remember, when I was sick last tues/wed, I went into the walk in clinic wed morning to have the dr look me over and tell me it was a viral infection and nothing that they can really do about it. Today, I went to my prenatal appt and he questioned me about going to a walk in (I had tried to see my reg dr that morning, but apparently he does not work on Wed, hence the walk in) Anyways, I explained what I experienced, what I was still feeling and he listened to my lungs. Telling me I had a bronchitis type infection. Which would explain why I can not get rid of this stupid cough! Hes given me antibiotics. I asked him to listen to my daughter as well (she comes with me to my appts) and he said she has something too, not nearly as bad as me, but definitely something. So we are both on antibiotics.

Now here is my vent about this whole thing...sure a "viral infection" can possibly turn into something more bacterial right? So a "cold" Or such could turn into something more from time.....I get that. But what really bothers me, is that when going into my dr appt this morning (hes seen me from the time I was 2 months pg) And he just saw me 2 weeks ago, still has to ask me why I came in, or how he can help me today. I guess I dont know what to make of that. I understand, he probably sees TONS of people in that two weeks span, but I am obviously pregnant, I am obviously his patient and hes always done prenatal... arg.. just frustrating I guess. Then after figuring out I have a bronchitis type infection he asks about my allergy to the "penicillin" family. I had the Amphocillian when I was younger, and reacted badly to that as well as to sulpha drugs. I was told to tell people I was "deathly" allergic as they were not sure what a second does might do to me should I accidentally take it. Anyways, while going on about what he wanted to prescribe me, asks if its amphocillian or ammoxocillian I am allergic to. I point out that its amphocillian, but I was told not to take ANYTHING in the penicillin family... So this drives me crazy! I am not trying to "overrule" my dr, as he obviously has training that I dont, but why would he even consider something that might potentially harm me? He should know that anything in the penicillin family can be harmful if someone is allergic to one or the other correct?

Which brings me back to my whole lack of confidence with my dr. I have gone numerous times back and forth with wanting to stay with him, and then wanting to switch. Where I live, there are not tons of drs, so finding one to take you as a patient is hard. (otherwise, you have to always go in the walk-in clinic and see whatever dr happens to be there) My dr is polite, hes friendly, but I feel that I am not getting the same level of prenatal care that I did when I had an obgyn when pregnant wtih my daughter. This dr had to be reminded that I needed to get the RHogam shot, he needed to be reminded that I needed the forms for the glucose test. Not once has he measured the size of the uterus, to make sure that baby is growing. Today, hes checked to make sure baby is head down, and said that baby is in position the way that shes supposed to be.. which is good.. but I find myself lacking confidence in his skills. I originally wanted a dr who was going to be able to deliver my baby, someone who would look after me my whole pregnancy, and then be the one to deliver. Well my dr joined this other group of drs that now rotates on who is on call, so its going to be any one of 6 different drs that could deliver this baby, and I haven't even met any of the other 5. What a whiner I am! lol. Perhaps its a good thing though.. I guess I just dont know. All I can ask for is a safe and healthy baby after all of this is done, and hope that my choices have led me down that path. I do plan on researching the medication the dr prescribed for this "bronchitis" type infection to ensure that there is no harm to the baby.. I even asked the pharmacists when he filled my prescription! lol.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Cheri! Ugh.. some drs I agree you have reason to feel the way you do. With my son, when I was pregnant the dr was so mean.. they all were.. I wont get into why on here but it was beyond grounds for me to change drs. I didn't though cause I felt I'm almost done and I may as well stick it out. FF to delivery.. one of the drs forgot to send in my strep test therefor there was no result. Talk about anger. I'm glad you found out what the problem is. It sucks that theres not too many drs to choose from.. I suggest you schedule an appt with each of the drs so you can get to know them all so when you do go into labor you wont feel like complete strangers!
Feel better soon! And love the belly pics!

kemicutie said...

" originally wanted a dr who was going to be able to deliver my baby, someone who would look after me my whole pregnancy, and then be the one to deliver."

Hi Cheri,

Well I think what you really want is a midwife. Unfortunately most docs don't really know their patients very well because they have so many patients. I'm sorry that you don't feel confident with your doctor. It's never too late to switch your care provider. I think that there are CNMs that live in your area, but is there a waiting list? Midwives work in hospital as well if you aren't keen on a freestanding birth center or home. You're 34 weeks so you still have time to switch. Also a midwife will spend more than a few minutes with you during your appointment and you're more likely to have the same person you see at your prenatal appointments, at your birth. I always tell people this, you are the employer of your doctor. You don't have to do everything s/he says. If you don't like them, fire them and take your business elsewhere. You're mom, this is your baby, you are in charge! I love to empower!!! Best of luck if you choose to stay with your doctor though.