Recent Posts

Saturday, April 5, 2008

The crazy crib adventure!

As most of you know already from a post I have previously made, my cousin provided me with a crib that was CRAPPY. Not only did it smell bad, have scratches/dents everywhere, but it was also covered in some sort of white substance on it. Not sure if it was milk/formula or baby puke. After being extremely disappointed ( I know, can't look a gift horse in the mouth) my mother and her husband bought us a brand new crib. They delivered it to us over a month ago (dont remember the exact time frame)

I have been pestering my husband for at least 1.5 weeks to put it together for me. This Thursday I told him if he did not do it soon, I would bring it up the stairs myself and do it! Lol. Told him if anything happened it would be all his fault! He kept telling me that we had plenty of time and not to worry about it. It was 10 minutes later that he came into bathroom and asked me to do a load of work clothes for him. My reply? I will take care of it in about 7 weeks. This got his butt moving!

My husband dragged the box up the stairs, opened the box and told me that the hardware (screws and such) were MISSING! No hardware, no instructions, NOTHING. I was really disappointed and called Walmart. I explained the situation. The woman's answer? She told me to bring the crib back! I explained how hard it was to get it up the stairs, that I didn't want to drag it back down, nor did I want to have to go all the way to the store, bring the old crib in, pick up a new one just to have to do this all over again. I asked if she could take the hardware from another crib and just give that to me... nope, she said that they can't do that. She told me that they had one crib in stock and that I could come and get it. I then asked if she could put it on hold for me.. Nope, she said that they do not do that. At this point I am very frustrated. I ask to speak to a manager. I explain to him the situation and his first suggestion is to get the hardware from the other box and give it to me. He never suggested I come and bring the crib back!

So my daughter and I head to walmart, he brings the hardware to the front, and hands it to me. I ask about the instructions and he insists that they are attached underneath he base board of the crib. I explain that they are not. We had looked everywhere thinking that the hardware was taped somewhere. He takes us to the back (and boy does he power walk! lol) and shows me where the instructions are. This is when I realize that not only is my crib the wrong color (its natural and should have been white) but my crib is not even the same style as the one that should have been in the box!

After explaining that to him, his suggestion is to bring the crib into the store for an exchange. I said we would try the hardware and would get back to them. After getting home and explaining to my husband what happened, he shows me that our crib will also convert to a toddler bed.. So basically its a better crib than what we had though we were getting. You would think that this makes up for the running around and headache...but nope, I am just only halfway through here!

After attempting to put the crib together this morning, he realizes that the hardware kit we were given, does not have enough screws and this other type bolt. I need EIGHT more! I drive into town to the home depot, find what I am looking for (all with my daughter in tow) and get to the cashier desk, only to find out i was supposed to write down the bin number on the bag! I borrow her pen, head back down the isle, find the spot where it is, write the number, and head back to the cashier. She then informs me that I have written the wrong number down. I needed a SKU number . This is starting to get old and fast! She calls for one of her co-workers and sends him down the aisle. Now although this aisle is only 3 aisles away (or so) and took me just over 5 minutes to do this, this guy takes OVER 10! Finally comes back, she rings it in, only the wrong price is coming up. Shes trying to charge me 1.09 for a .59 part. I explain its wrong (don't forget I am buying 12, so overall that's a big difference!) and she calls the coworker on the phone. He tells me that the .59 price is for the smaller bolt, and that I have the larger. I know this is incorrect so off I go AGAIN down the aisle to get the right number.

Now i have completely learned my lesson with this store,. First off, get the SKU number when buying ANYTHING that comes in bulk, and second, if there is a mistake, make sure you go down the aisle yourself and get the information you need rather than having another employee go.. It will save you time and patience! And lastly, the lesson for the day, since I did not want to have to go down the aisle again, or be told my number was wrong, I grabbed the WHOLE FREAKING container of bolts and brought it back with me! It had all the other bolts, the SKU number and the price! lol

This is the crib I was "supposed" to be getting


This is the crib I got...


The box shows a picture of the first crib, so I have NO IDEA how this other crib came into the box! It was all packaged and sealed as if from the factory and does not appear to have been opened previously.

2 comments:

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

oh my, what a headache!!! I can't believe you had problems at both places. :(

The crib is beautiful though!

Lynn said...

Awww Cheri! Hang in there! I'm sorry you had to deal with all that and more! Hugs to you! I don't know how many times I've gone through similar situations but man its very exhausting.

Lynn