Recent Posts

Monday, July 25, 2011

Move on over, there is a new pansey in town

I know that most of you will remember about the pansey storey from many years ago. For those of you new to my blog and have not heard this storey, I will give you the "short' version.

Ever since I was little, a purple wild pansey would grow wild in our grass. As a child I loved this flower and it drove my dad crazy. You cant purchase this flower in the store, it ONLY grows wild. (its really tiny). It would grow ONLY in the grass. My dad would do everything he could to remove it, and yet it would be back. When I was 18 my mother, my sister and I moved into a different area of town because my parents separated (and later divorced). The house we moved into, later that year, the same wild purple pansey started growing underneath the holly tree. Our landlord at the time asked us why we would bother planting the pansey underneath the holly tree (its prickly for those of you not familiar). After explaining that we did not, he mentioned its NEVER been there before.

I even got a tattoo of the same purple flower on my lower right hip. I really feel that this flower is a symbol of good luck, and that its from my grandmother on my dad's side (who died when my dad was only 16). I have talked to my dad about this, who also agrees that he believes its from her as it was her favorite flower as well.

I have lived in various cities throughout the many years I have been alive, and in each house, in the spring/summer, no matter where I have been, the purple pansey has shown up, and each time the landlord has told me it was not there before.

Since being in the house we are now (since July 5 years ago) Every year its come back. The same flower, same location (down the dirt path beside our driveway). Its my favorite flower and I always talk to it (Yes I pat it and tell it hello lol). Well, a week ago, walking to my van I notice a pansey in the grass, and not in its "normal" location. This flower is DEFINITELY trying to stand out.. and you know what, its not the exact same. This one has a YELLOW face. I have NEVER seen this type before, and the first impression that came to my mind... this one is from my mom (passed march 8, 2010)

I love paneys. (top is the "regular" pansey and below is the new one)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your story and your pansey is beautiful.
When my Mum passed away I bought a crepe murtle and when I was feeling really down I asked her for a sign just to reasure me she was around and the next morning her tree was flowering, it gave me great peace

Lorna