Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Is there something "wrong" with the blog?

I have seen in previous weeks barely any comments on the blog at all, and starting to get worried that its not allowing people to post and that I need to change a setting? In regards to the blog contests or even my ask Jeni, usually there are a few responses, or with update posts there are comments and for the last few weeks there has been 0. So not sure if people just dont have anything to ask/add/answer or if people are having a problem with posting comments into the comment section? If anyone can provide me some feedback as to their experience if they are having problems..etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to email cheri22@gmail.com with "feedback" listed in the email so I can locate it easier.

I have recently been trying to look up books online about how to deal with invasive Mother in laws. I find that lately by avoiding my mother in law as much as possible that its been "better" but finding myself putting more effort into avoiding her than it was to just see her and deal with it! lol. Shes calling pretty much everyday, seems to still show up constantly and often gives me her "opinion" and or "advice" that really does not makes sense, is a total lie, or just completely misleading. I would rather not have to deal with her and half the time wish she would just move back to Ontario! (5 hour plane ride!) I dont want to be this way, as being "negative' and avoiding her is certainly not easy, and not good either for anyone involved. I have tried talking to her, but it always goes in one ear and out the other as if what i said does not matter.

Once she called, and was talking to me, asked me what my husband was doing, then asked to talk to him, and the second he got on the phone, asked him what he was doing...as if what I had just said was a lie. I am so worried I am going to "warp" my daughters view of her grandmother with the way I react, and I do not want to do that.

I at times have gone out of my way to try and include her in our lives, more or less on my own terms. I find it easier to deal with her when I am "prepared" for her visit. I invited her shopping with my daughter and I and out for lunch. As we are shopping for a baby car seat, she says "so are you going to bother breastfeeding this time, or are you just going to go straight to the bottle". For most people, this might seem like an innocent question, but it often gets me under the skin. When pregnant with my first, she INSISTED on buying me some formula even after I told her I was planning on breastfeeding and did not want it, she kept telling me that most women can not breastfeed and that I needed formula. So it seems already shes being unsupported in the fact that I want to try again and do it better this time, being more prepared with breastfeeding. My last attempt with my daughter had me breastfeeding her until she was 2.5 months old and then I pumped for 1.5 months. I was not informed with breastfeeding, started pumping and bottle feeding because I was constantly second guessing myself and the amount she was getting, and let my mother in laws comments get to me. This time, I will try again and do what I can to provide for this baby and NOT let my mother in law bother me.

Shes got an answer for everything, and its not accurate. I told her of a place near our house called "falcon ridge" there are ALOT of falcons and eagles around lately (I love to watch them fly) and I said how we had a falcon in our backyard a week ago, and how many eagles that were around. This led her to try and "top" that by stating that she saw at least 6 eagles flying around the zellers mall when the fruit stand opened. I dont think she realized that eagles do not eat fruit. That they are mostly meat eaters and certainly would not be circling a grocery store for the fruit! lol. I said nothing.

Well, I have come to the conclusion, that yes, my husband is "enabling" my mother in law to meddle in our lives and drive us all crazy, but all I can do is stand my ground and find ways to "accept" who she is, and just deal with it. Hoping that some of the self help books on dealing with crazy mother in laws might help shed some light on the way she behaves and why, and give me better tools to deal with her personality and not be so affected by her craziness!

4 comments:

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

Good luck on the MIL! Hopefully the books help with a bit of an insight as to how to deal with her. I am happy that mine is halfway across the country! lol

(and I don't seem to ever have any problems commenting?)

Jess said...

I've been so impossibly behind on my blog roller that I haven't been keeping up with anyone. Pregnant + awful cold/flu + toddler (also sick) = ugh. :-P

I'm sorry you have to deal with your MIL so much. She sounds really draining. My FIL is dating someone kind of like that. Joy.

Lynn said...

Hi Cheri

I'm testing to see if my comment works. Wow I don't know what you can do to deal with your MIL. Its hard to say. Like you say you don't want your dd to get a bad impression so you should make an effort, but on the other hand you make an effort and include your MIL or talk to her and she's very upsetting to you. I hope the books help and give you some answers. I wish you all the luck with that! Is she staying close to you guys for good or is she planning on moving back to Ontario?

Lynn

kemicutie said...

Hi Cheri,

I just discovered your blog yesterday and just wanted to give you some encouragement with breastfeeding your baby. I'm training to be a lactation consultant (IBCLC) and I can tell you that getting a good LC is priceless. You can also send me an e-mail if you need any troubleshooting, I won't mind at all. Also joining La Leche League if there is one in your area is good too. I hope that it works for you this time, but also know that your baby received your milk for a good amount of time so that's better than her not having any of your milk at all. Also, determination is about 90% of success and the other 10% is support. If your MIL isn't supportive of your breastfeeding (because more than likely she wasn't successful herself or never tried), then she doesn't need to be around you while you're learning with this baby. I'm sure you already know all of this...Anyways, if you have any questions you can ask me. kemicutie@yahoo.com

Kemi