Recent Posts

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Remember my pansies?




For those of you who have been reading the blog for awhile. will remember my post about the pansies that have been growing wild in my yard. They are going in the lava rocks and were not there when we first bought our house, but seem to have come the following spring and spreading out everywhere. This flower has followed me since I was young, its not something that you just buy in the store (or you couldn't before) and certainly would never think of planting it where it seems to pop up. When growing up as a young girl, this flower would always grow in the grass right in our front lawn. This would drive my father crazy and would always try and pull it out, or mow it over. Not because he didn't like the flower, but because he did not like where it was growing! When I moved out of the house to a new place with my mother and sister (parents separated when I was 18) that year, they started growing under the holly bush, to which the landlord wondered why in heck we would plant something there, to which we had not! This has happened in EVERY single location I have lived in for my whole life. This flower, same size, same color, always grows where its not supposed to. Almost like its saying "look at me".




Now, the significance for this flower to me, is another storey. My grandmother from my dad's side passed away when he was 16 years old, so I never met her. It turns out after talking to my dad, that this flower was by far her most favorite. So yes, I do feel that this flower by following me around (and it only happens to me in the family) is her way of saying hello, and letting me know that shes there, watching out for us.




So last year, when it sprouted in the lava rocks and went completely crazy, I just knew it was her. This by far has been the most I have ever seen them, and kept spreading and going like crazy and almost halfway down our drive way. The picture below is one taken last summer. This is only part of it, and just kept going like crazy


So, this year, after looking over the garden as I want to make some changes before baby comes, I see them coming again. The flowers have not yet come out, but the telltale sign of the leaves is enough for me to know that they are on their way. In our backyard, there are tulips growing, that I was worried would not come up this year. I had cut them down last year when they had all died, and perhaps cut a bit too short according to my dad's wife. So was a bit nervous thinking that they had all disappeared. My daughter and I had walked around back to check them out, see if any had come up. Thankfully they all seem to be returning, some of them have the flowers coming out but not blossomed yet.. and guess what else we found while in the back?


Yep, you guessed it MORE PANSIES! This time they are growing where the grass is, in the woodchips and in other spots in the same area. Mostly the same purple flower that I love dearly, and now these cute little yellow ones that have just come up.


I love this flower so much, that when I was 18, I had it tattooed on my lower right hip, but closer to the front. Same purple, same shape.


So, with this being said, today is the day to win a free reading with BROOKE777. Its a 2 question tarot card reading, and is available to be won. All I need to be able to enter you into your draw is to either comment on my own storey listed here, or provide your own. Something that really touches your heart that has either happened to you before, or still happening, that you recognize as a sign from a loved one. Thats it. Contest will end tomorrow morning when I log in, and will announce the winner. From the people entered into the draw, one winner will be drawn from a hat and will be announced on this blog!

good luck!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I have no story to tell like that (non that I can think of anyway) I just want to say that is so cool that happens. And I'm jealous your getting your flowers popping up already. In our area (Edmonton) I think we will be waiting a few more months! Enjoy your purple pansies (my favorite also!)

Lynn

Unknown said...

In days like today I wish I were close to my parents. I practically grew up with my grandma and didn’t live with my parents until adolescent. In days like today I wish I were pregnant so I can give her the love I didn’t get.

The flowers are lovely, Cheri, and I’m so glad you have someone watching over you.

Angela said...

Wow! What a great story! Gave me goose bumps.....

Tanylisa said...

That's really cool! Great story :D It reminds me a lot of right after my mother passed away, I was visiting her grave site when I noticed these little purple flowers growing in between her head stone and my sisters who had passed away two years before. I had never noticed them before her passing and they were only there for that summer. I think it was a sign from them both :) My dad passed away in 2006, and I'm always on the look out when visiting the cemetary for new little flowers!

Anonymous said...

Here is my story...2 summers ago our family dog had to be put down due to cancer. It was horrible and I cried for weeks as she was more like a part of our family than just a 'dog'. Her name was Daisy and she was the sweetest dog ever. She had quite the personality and always had me by the heart strings. Each summer when the Daisies bloomed, I would pick the flowers and tuck them under her collar to make it look as though she was wearing a necklace of flowers. Well...the summer after she was gone and the flowers sprouted up, I noticed that growing by the fence at my workplace in front of my designated parking spot was a clump of daisies. Growing out of the gravel!! Right away I knew it was her saying Hello. It made me smile everyday and they lasted well into the Fall. I was so surprised by the spot where the flowers were growing (and in NO other places anywhere around)I had to take my mom to see and she thought the same thing...that it was a sign for Daisy, just letting her know that she was thinking of me too.