Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Karma - What goes around comes around?

Do you believe in Karma? I do. Or at least the idea of it. I really believe that when you go out of your way to try and help people, do positive things, that in turn, positive and good things will happen to you.

Now if your grumpy or angry and yell and such, I do not think that means that this in turn will happen to you, but if you do something out of spite, revenge or on purpose to try and hurt someone else, I believe that "karma" will have way of "evening" up the odds in regards to something that might happen to you. Not necessarily in the same fashion, but perhaps something that you were trying so hard to have completed will fall through.

In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)

Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them.

"As you sow so shall you reap" This is the Law of Karma. Interestingly, both science and religion recognize this law. In science it is often stated, “For every action there is an equal and opposing reaction.” Its religious counterparts are, “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth”; and “As you do unto others, it will be done unto you.” Even today’s common knowledge expresses this principle in the saying, “What goes around, comes around.” This is the law of karma, of cause and effect.

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri,

Yes I do believe in Karma. When I was younger I did some mean hurful things to people and I kept getting no where in life. I grew up and changed and I'm actually getting somewhere : ) I try to do nice things for people and I do believe that they have been returned. When people "hurt" me or say nasty things or do nasty things, I for the most part will try to let it roll off my back. I say to myself "I'll be the better person and not do anything" they'll get their's in return by some higher power. I've also known (2) people to do "unkind" things to people that they "cared" about and they ended up being knocked on their butts, sort of in the same manor that they hurt the other people. I think that had to do a little bit with just them making bad choices in life and Karma. I think when you do revengeful things Karma is the kick in the butt that says come on you know better, and when good things happen I think it's like hey keep it up, you're a good person. Atleast thats what I tell myself and it makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do believe in karma.

Me and DF sell things on eBay. DF and this guy used to work together at the same job, which is where we would get the things to sell. He wasn't good at eBay, so we would list and ship and everything, and give him part of the profit for the items that he acquired. Well, DF left the job, and we were still getting the things from him, but he decided to be greedy and raise his prices (after a tear, when everyone had been satisifed with the arrangement, even though we were already getting the short end of the stick). Or sometimes we would sell stuff and go to get it from him, and he would lie and say it was stolen (when he had sold them to someone else), so then we had to go through hassles on Paypal and eBay so they didn't think we were frauding them. Then he started trying to sell stuff himself, I guess to get ALL of the profit. Well, we moved on to selling other things, and something happened to his eBay accounts where he is no longer allowed to sell, and guess who's door he is now knocking down to sell stuff for him? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri,

I made the first comment and I would like to add to it. Tonight my house was just paintballed, and I called the cops and did what I was supposed to do. I'm upset but I know that like I said before Karma will take care of the rest, or atleast thats what I'm hoping. So tonight I'm really hoping for Karma to be on my side ; )
C.B