Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A day of rememberance....

wondering if anyone actually partakes in any of the remembrance day celebrations? I know I guess its not really a celebration, but I think you all know what I mean....

My daughter is in sparks, and she was TOLD that she needed to be in a parade that they have locally. Now my daughter is only 5, and its POURING with rain here ALL DAY. I had asked her if she wanted to be in it, but she said no. Now my problem with this whole things is that the sparks leaders in my opinion, should have been teaching the girls what remembrance day is about, what its for, so they know why they would be involved in a parade. They never did that. They basically go once a week to their sparks "class' and COLOR. It really upsets me. I don't know what I expected to be honest when I signed her up, but I was in Brownies and Girl Guides when I was younger and I learned alot. I ask my daughter all the time if what they did that day and each time I get "coloring". I don't know if that's what they do the entire hour they are there?? But I do know that the guide leaders are very disorganized, and probably half the time don't know what they are doing!

Anyways, it was ME who explained to my daughter what remembrance day is and why its important. We watched some information on the tv about it (there was a big thing on CTV in Vancouver) and I also told her that my grandfather was in the war (world war 2) and he got shot in the butt and lived. That of course got a chuckle out of her, but I did explain why he was there, and what it was for. Its so hard for younger generations to understand it, and certainly don't need to know all the glory details.

Anyways, I guess my main things is the frustration to which they are running sparks. They don't know half the time what they are doing and because my daughter says shes having fun, I have just left it.. as all in all that is the whole point right? Even if she colors the whole time? 

Anyone else have any daughters or experience with sparks? I have heard that some sparks groups get to goto plays and other things, ours...they color ! lol.

0 comments: