Recent Posts

Monday, November 3, 2008

Do you ever just have one of those days?

Where you just feel "crabby" and the best shirt for you to wear is a "little miss grumpy" shirt? I seem to have lost my patience at some point today. Usually I am pretty good with keeping it close by, but for some reason today on the way to dropping my eldest daughter at kindergarten and coming back home, I seem to have misplaced it. Perhaps its the time change, perhaps its just the weather, or heck, maybe its just met, but everyone here seems to be "moody" and off their rocker! My eldest daughter (shes 5) was not listening at all today. Seemed to just know which buttons to push to make me mad.. or perhaps with my mood today just things she did made me mad? Or perhaps a bit of both. Baby not sleeping well today and was hard to get to bed tonight. I have literally put her to bed now THREE times and its not even 9pm. Hoping that she is down for the night so I can get started. I am myself hoping to have an early night as well. I feel tired and run down, so perhaps it is just me! lol.

My daughter and I had a conversation yesterday that had her in tears. She has told me before that she does not want me to get "wrinkly". I have told her before that I will eventually, and then it usually leads her to asking me if I will die someday. I have always been honest and told her yes, at some point I too will die. She tells me she will miss me, I tell her that I will always be with her in her heart, with her then telling me that she and baby need me here. Its a hard conversation to have. She in tears, me trying to keep it together knowing one day I will be gone and she will be without me. I try and tell myself that I hope to be here for a long time and it helps knowing I can come back and visit her when I am gone.

I actually remember being around 7 years old, and crying. My mom not sure how to help me, and she asked me why I was so upset. I told her that I did not want to die. I remember this vividly like this happened yesterday. I was sitting in front of the TV, watching it, I was on the floor cross legged, and I just started thinking about it and bawling. I walked into my room. This is where my mom talked to me about it and told me I would not die for a long time. Just like the conversation I had my with my daughter last night. Trying to tell her that there is a LONG time left before I would have to go (I actually have a feeling I will pass when I am 83) and told her that my mom was still here, that my grandmother was still here...etc. trying to show her how old people can get.

So has anyone had to have this conversation with their children? If so, how did it go? What did you say?

1 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Cheri!
Oh boy do I know what you mean by "miss grumpy" I have those days a lot. Actually this morning. My daughter wanted to listen to her cd and sing along before I went to work and took her to daycare. I was already late and she wanted to sing "just one more time..." and you know how that goes. (just one more ok?..etc.) so I shouted at her, which is bad, but, yep I lost it. and Yes, i'm little missy grumpy today! I have also had this conversation about death to my daughter, only she asked about my mom who is passed. She would say to me, mommy, you don't have a mommy any more do you? I said yep gramma died but its not like she's left us for good, she still sees us and loves us. And then she will say I don't want you to leave me, I say to her I don't either, and I will be here for you as long as I can okay, please don't worry about it. Its hard isn't it?