Recent Posts

Sunday, January 18, 2009

why is it called a "pair of pants"? (oh and the winner!)

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I honestly would like to know. I asked my eldest daughter to please pick out a pair of pants and shirt for the baby. Then I sat and thought.. okay I was standing, but still thinking! Why is it called a "pair" of pants, when your getting just one? I know "pair" usually means two of something right? I don't know anyone who wears two pants at once? So why do we call it a pair of pants? Now you would think that the simple answer is that it has two pant legs....but then why don't we ask for a "pair" of shirts as it has to arms? If anyone has the answer, I am really wanting to know! The things I find amusing on a Sunday morning!

Update about my mom. Shes officially out of the hospital. I got to go and see her yesterday. I wish it could have been a bit longer, as we only got to stay like 30 minutes, but had a previous responsibility from two weeks prior. I would have gone and seen her in the hospital, but my MIL kinda made it a bit difficult for me. You see I watch a friends daughter during the week as a favor. I drive both our girls to and from school (they are in the same class) and I also drive one other little girl (same class) to and from school as her parents have no car, and live a bit of a distance from the school.I asked MIL if she could watch my eldest and my friends daughter, to which she kinda hesitated and said yes (She knew where I wanted to go) and then I remembered I drove the other little girl to school and wanted to know if she would mind. I would only need to have her drive them there, as I would be back plenty of time to take them home. Nope, she asked why they could not find other arrangements. I even explained the situation they are in and why I do this for the mother and father. Nope, still was not really interested and more peeved at the thought, so I just said not to worry about it, and told my mom I would not be able to come in.

So anyways, she seems really happy, but tired. I guess that's to be expected given what she went through. I have my fingers crossed that she can make these changes. I am sure that they are going to be hard, but shes overcome alot more difficult things than this. (like severe depression for one!)

Okay, on to happy news, first thanks to EVERYONE for entering the draw and leaving your kind words. It really does mean alot. To announce the winner, its SAMANTHA. Shes the third from last entry in the comment section (just in case there is more than one Samantha there) So please email me with BLOG CONTEST WINNER in the subject line so I can locate your email and sent it to Lyuda for your prize! (cheri22@gmail.com)

So stay tuned, as you know, this Thursday is the reading for brooke777!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your mum is out of the hospital now. And hope she does she does manage to make the changes she needs to.
You now have me all confused about the subject of calling a pair of pants a pair lol.
Lisa xxxx

Anonymous said...

Cheri,

Because I'm a dork and I love finding the answers to things, I did some research on the pants thing. This web site might help with the answer.
www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pai1.htm


Also I'm glad your mom is out of the hospital ; )


Thanks
CB

ashley1723 said...

Just as a shortened version of what CB already said I believe it stems from the times when they were 2 separate garments, 1 for each leg,(such as chaps) and it was only later that they became joined at the crotch and became a single item!

I just started reading your blog(I'm new to this whole thing) but I am also glad your mom is out of the hospital :)

ashley1723 said...

PS Your MIL sounds alot like my future MIL!