Recent Posts

Thursday, January 29, 2009

How do you get a baby to sleep through the night? lol

I see to not be good at that portion. My first daughter woke up at least once or twice a night, and or, would climb into bed with my husband and I at some point in the night. This would happen until she was 3 when I invented the "night time fairy" who would come and leave her a present in her special little tin if she stayed in bed for the night.

Well it worked, shes been sleeping through the night and in her bed since.. Now to my "dilemma" i dont want to have to do this again for this baby and have her in my bed for the next 3 years! lol. I have been sticking her in her crib now for sleep, most times when she does wake up in the middle of the night. I still breastfeed her and put her back in the crib to sleep. If she has trouble going back to sleep or wakes up when I put her down, I will hold her hand. Most times this works and she goes to sleep and I head back to my bed. If she does not settle, I take her into the spare bed with me and she sleeps just fine.

So for this blog contest to win Brooke777 reading, help me figure out a way to make this better. I am open to any suggestions to help teach baby to sleep on her own, and hopefully sleep through the night! lol. (Shes starting her 9th month)

I will keep this open until Sunday morning when I announce the winner. Anyone who enters whether you found a link on a site, whether you have information from your own experience, or even if you heard from a friend something might work!! Everyone who responds will get entered to win!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri, one thing you could try would be to get one of baby's toy's or teddy's and keep it with you for a whille so the item picks up your scent. Then in the evening put the item in the crib with her and hopefully it will help comfort her being able to smell her mummy.
Hope you manage to get her sleeping through the night.
Lisa xx

Anonymous said...

One of my friends swears by Johnson & Johnson's bedtime wash, or bedtime bath wash or something like that. She says it's saved her sanity! lol

Anonymous said...

I second the Johnson and Johnson bedtime bath lotion, and soap. My son is 5 months and he instantly falls asleep after his bath. Unfortunately he doesn't always sleep through the night, but the bath helps. Good luck! Lisa

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with my daughter....I would sleep with her and have a special blanket that she loved and when I would leave after she fell asleep I would keep the blanket with her so she could cuddle with it like she did with me when I was there....it took a little bit but it worked...hope this helps!

Chele said...

Cheri,

My son, Jake, didn't sleep through the night until he was four years old and I wasn't breastfeeding. He took a bath every night before bed and had his special blanket as well but what worked best for us was that he had a favorite lullabye tape that I'd click on when he went to bed and when he woke up and it would put him back to sleep. It was by Olivia Newton John. He wore out two of them. lol!

Anonymous said...

It's best to stick with one thing. Making sure you don't bend and allow them to sleep with you is the key. The way you breastfeed then put her back in her own bed is the best thing. As for sleeping through the night, they have to be self soothing. If you run to pick them up every time they make a noise they will expect that. I would say when you feed during the night keep the lights off or very low, keep things quite and quick.

Now I don't have kids and everyone says that it will be different when I have my own but that's my views on it. Consistency is key, regardless if its with bed time(sleeping in their own bed) or discipline.

lindsaycamp78 said...

I did the Baby Whisperer method which involved the Shhh pat method. You hold them and say shhhhhhhh relatively loudly into their ear which mimics the sounds they hear in the womb and at the same time you pat their back. You do this while getting closer and closer to the crib. Lay them in the crib and keep patting their back and saying shhh until they start nodding off and you get quieter and pat less. I had a hard time with the cry it out method, so this worked much better for me:) Good luck!

Suie said...

hi cheri...

ive heard a good night time pattern can help... bath to relax,drink and music/book!
i think your doing the right hink by just holding hands and not pick up. sorry im not much help. Hope you do manage to get a good nights sleep tho.
suie@saxperience.com

Leslie said...

I've had kids sleep through the night at a month...and kids that haven't done it until a year. Nothing I've ever tried worked consistantly. My oldest is 18 so basically I feel like I haven't had a good night's sleep in...well...18 years...LOL. Hope it doesn't take that long for you :)