Recent Posts

Monday, January 26, 2009

Loved ones who have been cremated...

I know this seems to be a bit of an off topic, but as everyone is born, everyone at some point must die :(

For myself, I do plan/hope to be cremated, as I do not want my body to just sit in the ground. I know that i am no longer attached to it, but feel better knowing its not just rotting under there, or that some "silly" teenager can dig me up for the fun of it!

Now with that being said, I wanted to touch base about the ashes. As I am helping my friends Mother in law with the recent passing of her husband, I wanted everyone to know that if you decide to keep the ashes of your loved one, this is okay. But I MUST point out that your loved one is NOT attached to the ashes. If you were to spread them in a place that they really loved, they are not destined to be stuck and roaming around that place for all of eternity. They are NOT the ashes. That was who they were as earthly beings. Now that they have crossed over, they are free to visit where ever and whenever they choose. They are NOT attached to the ashes.

I feel that the ashes are more of a symbol of their body only and we here left to mourn are the ones attached to it. So feel free to either hold on to it for your own well being, or feel free to spread it in a place that you loved together, or they loved... its more a symbol than anything else and allowing yourself to grieve that last little bit and move forward as your loved one would have wanted.

So if anyone has any questions about this at all, feel free to comment in the section below, or email me (remember, put in BLOG COMMENT when you email so I can locate it)

I have been lucky so far not to have anyone pass on that has been close to me, but I hopefully will be prepared enough for when the time comes.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Thanks for that Cheri! Mom mom was cremated and just recently my aunt died, who was also cremated. I too wish to get cremated. I don't think I could handle (and like you say not that you could feel it) to be in the ground.

Lynn

Suie said...

My nanna died a couple of years ago, she was cremated and so was my grandad before her. this was her wishes and i agree.. it will be mine too! the spiders are not having my body!!
Nannas ashes went in a little box with grandads in the rememberance garden. its nice to think this helped her some how to find him in heaven. worked for me anyway!!
Suie xx

Leslie said...

My husband has such a love for flight...I actually found an organization who will take his ahses and blast them off into space...he's not too thrilled that I've already been researching this however! LOL!

Unknown said...

Cheri--my mom passed 2 1/2 years ago (June 24, 2007) and i really haven't felt much of her presence like i did when my grandfather died on my birthday almost 7 years ago (April 13, 2003). I still dream about my Papa. Both were cremated. I always wonder about her and ways i can connect with her--i mean, i understand the "always in your heart" addage, but really, i wonder where she is, if she's doing well, if she's proud of me and my brother. Do you have any suggestions?