Recent Posts

Thursday, July 23, 2009

I should have known better :( ARG!

Today I took my daughter, her friend, and my youngest daughter to Chuckie Cheese. Its about a 45 min to an hour drive from our house, but we rarely go so figured why not. We found a coupon online that gave us 100 tokens for 16.50 and we planned to eat a small lunch there. Anyways, we got our drinks, I got my salad and we headed to a table to wait for our pizza. There behind our booth was a family with a guide dog. It had a pink "blanket" on it of some sort, which I knew to be a training dog for "something". The girls are ALWAYS excited with dogs, and really wanted to go and ask if they could pet it, but I steered them away letting them know that the dog was "working" and should not be touched. They left it at that and we started to eat the salad and have pizza arrive minutes later.

Fast forward to the time we are almost ready to leave (2.5 hours later) and my toddler (shes now 14 months) heads straight for the guide dog! I stop her just before she gets there, and tell her to come with me, enticing her with a ride on barney toy, and just as I do, the daughter (she appears to be around 8-9 years old) tells me its okay, the dog is friendly, she has a two year old sister who often puts her fingers in the dogs mouth and the dog just "allows" it. So with her saying it was okay, I allowed my daughter to touch the dog. After not even 5 minutes goes by, I took pat the dog not thinking anything of it. The woman comes RACING towards me, basically demands that I not touch the dog as the dog is working. I am actually shocked, yet not surprised. The cover on the dog does say "do not pet", but with the daughter saying it was okay I thought "okay"!. I looked over at her, and shes angry, and I pointed out that her daughter told us it was okay, and I just walked away. What was I to do? I know that most times a guide dog is not to be touched (working or while being trained) but after the girl said go ahead, I guess I was not expecting that!

Anyways, so learn your lesson from me, don't touch the guide dogs no matter how cute and friendly they are, how much they look at you and you just want to touch them, even if someone tells you that you can, chances are, you can't!

Anyone have a storey to share? Where you look back and shake your head at yourself "knowing" you should probably heed your own warnings? Everyone who enters the contest by commenting in the comments section below, will be eligible to win a reading with ELISABETH! I will announce the winner on SUNDAY. Good luck!

8 comments:

sugarbabydoll said...

Gee, peoples rudeness never cease to amaze me. It was not your fault, even though it was a "working" dog. The lady could have been a bit nicer about it. Reminds me of the time i found a wallet in a parking lot so i took it and called the lady's phone to come get it(she had her info inside). Well she came to my home threatning to call the police because i had her wallet! LOL...

Patty D. said...

I haven't had anything that I can remember happen to me like that but I think that the lady shouldn't have been rude and upset at you for touching the dog...I agree with the other lady that posted she could have been a bit nicer and just said Please don't touch the dog and smiled about it not look angry or to make you feel crazy for touching the cute dog...I hate that she was like that toward you Cheri thats just wrong...but anyways I bet the dog liked it and I would have touched the dog if one of the children told me that I could have to..so yet now I know that if I ever see a dog working then I'm not going to be touching it...thanks for sharing this with us....

Kate said...

I had something like this happen to me twice-- and both with different outcomes.
I found a check laying on the sidewalk, writen out to "CASH" in the amount of $50 or so I cannot remember, and I took the check and called the number that was listed on there and left a message saying I found the check and I'll mail it back, and not to worry that someone will find it and cash it, the lady actually called me back and yelled at me saying "well did you try to cash it, did you write down my bank account info?" I was like you have got to be kidding me! That's what I get for being nice!
A few months later, I find another check (I guess people just love to drop their checks around where I work) even though I hesitated because of what happened the 1st time I picked it up and again it was writen out to "CASH" this time for over $100 !! No phone number listed on it, and I didn't really want to call so instead I mailed it, and wrote a note along with it of where I found it etc... a week or so later I get a note from the owner of the check along with a new check for the amount of $25.42 cents--- $25 as a thank you for returning the check and having a good heart and .42 cents for the postage I had to spend to mail the check back...it's crazy-- two similar stories, two completely different endings!

Niki said...

I agree, that was rude of the lady. She should have apologized after you told her that her daughter said it was okay.

as for the "I should have known better"- it happens to the best of us! :) We live, and we learn! dont fret!

trijane said...

Uggg! That is what I am going through right now. I have been trying to get my son a talent agent and have been sending out pictures to several addresses. I KNOW that you should never pay anyone while looking for an agent. I know this. I even got a reading from Cheri, and she said it too. I had all the warning signs thrown at me. Yet I still went to see this "talent consultant" that was not on my "safe contact list"...and I paid her $165 for information that was not really worth $165. I am getting hot flashes right now just thinking of how stupid I was for going through with the consultation. I did learn a few extra things from the meeting. But nothing I couldn't have found out on the internet or in a book.
I know better! Uggg!
Anyways, It is ironic that I got to vent how I am feeling right now and that it goes with the topic.
Have a great weekend!

SoCalMama said...

That is terrible, I'm sorry there was NO NEED for her to be that rude.
I had a similar experience actually only this dog had no sign or blankets or anything. My sister went to pet the dog and got snapped at my the owner...I was so embarrassed because he got super loud. But I politely said I was sorry she nor I knew that his dog was a guide dog.

Nicole said...

It's hard not to over react when something like this happens, especially in front of your kids. I know that I would want to tell the woman to 'cool off' it's not the end of the world, the dog is still in training.
Chuck E Cheeses is a crazy place will lots of noise and over stimulation, the woman probably had enough, but it's still no excuse for being rude.

*I am the Veteran, and the Wife* said...

Should have known better, Usualy it has to do with the kids, and nap times, I do not like nap times, but Husband likes for them to go to sleep sometimes during the day. I tell him they sleep now, they wont fall asleep til late at night later. so what happens, midnight and he is wondering why they arent sleeping yet>> uhhh you think!! sigh, told you so..