Recent Posts

Monday, July 13, 2009

Have you ever been lost in the corn?

okay, I know that sounds kinda "crazy" talk up there, and I guess its meant to.. cause if you have ever been lost in the corn you certainly do feel you might go crazy! I remember last year, my daughter and her friend talking me into taking them to this corn maze about 20 minute drive from our house. I had never been and had friends who had, and they all talk about a good time. Usually this happens later in the year when the corn fields can grow up to 6ft (or taller). They carve paths out of the corn that usually you can see a cool looking pattern from the sky. Anyways, we get there, and we paid to get in. For some reason we decided to start at the exit rather than the entrance. I realize my error now, but honestly did not think anything of it when my then 5 year old and her "cousin" who was 11 at the time insisted it was okay. Now fast forward an hour later with us LOST in the middle or somewhere in the field of corn. On these posts, were "clues' to find which path to take to get you back to the exit. Now to be able to get these clues, you had to know your trees or birds.. see my dilemma? I know some trees, and some birds, but not enough to get me out of this silly maze! I later explained to my husband how stuck we were and first finding it funny (the first 15 minutes of being lost was funny!) and he asked why I did not just pick a landmark and then travel towards it. Ummm... perhaps because I am only 5 ft 4" and the corn is OVER 6ft! I could not see any landmarks! He still finds this funny. He thinks he would have no problem getting out! Most people can do it in around 2 hours.

Well, lets just say that after being stuck in there for a VERY long time, i got frustrated and a bit agitated. lets just say that although I am not claustrophobic, I do not like the feeling I am "stuck". So that was it, myself, my daughter and her "cousin" started going THROUGH the corn rather than following the paths! Ensuring we did not step on the plants or cause any havoc we found our way out of there by cheating! lol.

Now why did this storey come up? Well, its corn season here, everyone is growing it, the vendors on the sides of the roads are now selling it (peaches and cream right now) and my daughter is starting to talk about the corn maze again.. Ummm.. NOPE! Wont get me in there again. (or perhaps I should do it now while the corn is only 3-5ft tall?)

Hope you all had a great weekend!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats funny... Thank you for my reading it describes my husband to a tee!! from the looks to the traits lol.. Thank you so much again!

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if you knew how quickly your predictions came true because the reading didn't involve the year.

Lynn said...

I have never done the cornfield thing but sounds interesting. I think I too would get lost! Actually i don't need a cornfield to get lost in i'm doing that pretty much now as it is! LOL!

Cheri22 said...

Hi Sheena

most of my readings relate to either the current year the prediction was given or the year after. Only rare occasions has it gone past that.

Too funny lynn:)

Patty D. said...

the cornfield thing does sound interesting but I would be the one to get lost big time...lol

Anonymous said...

I would have your husband take her lol since he is convinced he can make it out

Cheri22 said...

sheena

too funny! I bet my husband would think himself to be the one to get us all out, with me laughing behind him as he would be just as lost as me. Okay, he does have a pretty good sense of direction, but when the corn is as high as it gets, I doubt he could find landmarks either!

trijane said...

I have done the corn maze as well. I did it with my co-workers when I was 25 years old. It was super fun. It was dark out and we split up into groups. I don't remember getting stuck. I am surprised we didn't. I think we wanted to stay in there as long as possible.
After a while we started hiding in the corn to scare our friends or throw bits of corn at them. It was funny at the time. It was even more fun that this was with my work! For me it was a possitive experience. I am sure it will never be as fun as it was that evening. We have no corn fields where I live now, so it will be a while before I get to do a corn maze with my son.