Recent Posts

Friday, October 16, 2009

The swine flu is freaking me out!

Most times, things like this really do not bother me. It just seems like this one particular thing has me worried and freaked out! I watched a documentary or perhaps a news type show about the swine flu, and it was saying that it was affecting women more than men and seemed to average around the age of 32! (I am 33). In regards to our region, out of over 100 people who contracted this virus, 29 died. Something like 21 of those being women and 4 children.

I have tried not to worry about this and have thought about getting myself and my family vaccinated (I usually skip certain vaccinations that have not been here for the long term).

I was sitting at the oil change location today before picking up my eldest daughter from school. They usually give you a newspaper to read while you wait. I enjoy reading on world events and would prefer that the newspapers focus on more "happy" stories rather than the tragic things that happen to people around the world. Anyways, in the storey it shows a local woman (the location they gave is still an hour from here) that she contracted the H1N1 virus (otherwise known as swine flu for those of you not familiar) Shes only in her early 20s and she has a one year old daughter! Talk about hitting close to home and freaking me out even more!!

Anyone else a bit more on edge with his particular strand than they would normally be with other things? (like west nile virus, I am not really freaked out about that)

For those of you who participated in the October Special, you have not been forgotten. Please remember that I received over 100 requests (my final count) and that I am trying to get to everyone this weekend if I can.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HINI, is just one of those things... I'm pretty sure my husband had it, and it sucked for about a week. But thanks to him working nights and sleeping mostly when the kids and I were asleep we didn't get it.

I just try to remind my kids to wash their hands and make sure they get their chewable vit everyday. We wont be getting the Flu shot or the one for HINI. Honestly the shot stresses me out more then getting sick.

alicia j

Anonymous said...

I always get the seasonal flu shot. I caught the "big flu" one year and it took me over a month to fully recover and I was a very healthy 23 year old then. Since then, I get the shot.

I'm a little wary of the H1N1 vaccine because it's been brought out so quickly. I'm really on the fence with this one. I'm asthmatic so I'll need to be careful, I'm female, I'm 35, and I'm TTC. Hmm, could I have anymore things so increase my risk? Oh yeah, work with the public.

I know that the cases of H1N1 are rapidly increasing in BC already. I'm seriously debating putting off TTC until after flu season.

Sorry, I don't have any insights for you. It certainly won't hurt to eat healthy, get lots of rest, and to wash your hands.

Anonymous said...

Take your time hun we understand you have a family to tend to.

H1N1 is something I do worry about. So far our pediatrician does not want us to get our son vaccinated because those vaccinations were made so quickly until he researches more about it.

Use plenty of water and soap before you eat. Sneeze into your shirt rather in your hands. Anyone with babies who put toys in their mouths to make sure you wash them from time to time. I use a sanatizer thats safe to use on baby toys As long as everyone tries to use these common practices we can surely lower our risks of contracting it.

I'm hoping neither me or my son gets it. Wish everyone the best.

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

don't sweat it, my son best friend is 6 got it real bad and lived to tell the tale.

Niki said...

It freaks me out too. But so does West Nile- I live in South Louisiana were we refer to Mosquiotoes as "Birds" cause they are so big...lol

I try not to stress about things like that but I do, even though I take the precautions!

lindsaycamp78 said...

My 2 year old son and I currently have H1N1. Ugh! It's actually not that bad. Our fevers are only getting up to about 102ºF. Lots of coughing, body aches, chills, sweats. I hear most people get over it in about 3-4 days. It's day 2 for me and day 1 for my son. If you go to/call the doc within the first 48 hours they can give you a prescription to reduce the severity. I hope your house stays healthy though!

Laurie said...

We had it at our house and it hit my 23 and 19 year old the worst. My 5 year old ran a bit of a fever for a few days and my three year old ran a fever for a day. Other than needing an antibiotic to take and cough meds we pulled through ok. Thank God it missed me all together. My peds doctor doesn't recommend any type of flu shot. He said that the strand of flu shot you get may not even be the strand of flu going around. Go figure!!