Recent Posts

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Is it cold out there, or is it just me?

My Sister in law got married Saturday morning. They had their wedding in a small little town, which is about a 3 or so hour drive from our house. Since the wedding was VERY early in the morning, this meant that we either had to be up at around 4am to get there on time, OR we had to spend the night. We have our own trailer, and figured spending the weekend there up on the mountain where they had their reception would be a good idea. They had about 70-100 people coming and most of the people were to either bring their trailers and camp out, or they were going to stay in a motel.

I am not one for the cold, and with it being October, its not really the time of year that you would find me "camping". After being assured that "past" temperatures for the region would be around 25 during the day and around 14 (Celsius) at night, I thought it would be okay and jackets would obviously be needed at night.

The few days before, I looked at the weather network online and it said highs of 14 and lows of 1. This was NOT impressive! So I planned accordingly. Knowing our trailer had heat and I could always take my girls in and warm them up.

Friday night was chilly, spent more time in the trailer than outside. They had a rental tent up for the part on Saturday night which some people headed into out of the cold. Others stayed in the trailers or mingled at the LARGE fire. Wedding went well, pictures were fast and we were back at the campsite and making lunch for the girls. Again, it was jacket weather for sure and I definitely layered us all up so it was comfortable. The littlest one did not really make it very long through the dinner portion Saturday night. After all of the running she did during the day I don't blame her. Around 9pm we headed for the trailer and I got her ready for bed. This is where it gets "fun". I don't get to spend alot of time with my DH outside of the home "kid free" (who does these days". So told our eldest she could either come out and dance a few songs with us, or wait in the trailer. (the trailer is about 10ft from where we were and in vision the entire time) So I headed out and started to dance with my husband. 5 minutes later, our eldest came out. I didn't think it would be the little one as when shes sleeping, shes sleeping (at least for the first half of the night anyways). Turns out our battery for our trailer was DYING! This means, NO HEAT!

Anytime we turned something on, the lights or the heat, it started to beep really loud! I had to turn the heat off. Afterwards, figured it was time to hit the sack at around 10pm and see what the night held in store.

In the middle of the night, the little one awoke, I had her lying beside me. I put a toque on her head and a sweater over her pjs. Come the morning time, it was around 8am when we all woke to our eldest announcing that their was SNOW on the ground. Turned out it was frost, but with the trailer having no heat, and being able to see our breath in the morning I was not happy to hear the word SNOW!.

To make a long storey short I wanted to leave right away. It was COLD outside. My husband figured we should hang around for a few hours where as I wanted to leave pretty much right away. He thought we were being crazy for leaving early, and I thought we were being crazy for staying! After he walked out and talked to a few people and found out a few of the people he is good friends with had already left!!

Thank goodness for that! So next time I ever mention going camping in October, can someone please slap me?

1 comments:

Laurie said...

Now that you are home if your kids are like mine they will be sick. Hope you enjoyed your weekend away even though you’re really happy you are home. Sounds like it was good snuggle weather. Too bad you had kids in the middle.