Recent Posts

Sunday, October 10, 2010

How to recognize a lesson at work

I know i have said in many previous posts about lessons we need to learn in this life in order to help use grow. Not just as people, but spiritually as well. Well, sometimes the best way to notice a lesson at work, is to realize that its happening over and over and over, and yet each time your making the exact same choice.

For example, when I was a teen (seems like a lifetime ago!) I dated "losers". Although at the time I was not completely aware of it. These were guys that I would date, finding them attractive and nice at the first part, but not really clueing in to the fact that they were lieing and or cheating on me. I remember my best friend telling me she had seen my then boyfriend (my first love) holding hands with another girl. I confrtonted him and he denied it. I accepted it and continued the relationship. Eventually finding out more information in the time to come from other sources. Finding out he had slept with someone else. When confronted by myself, he laughed it off, told me to go ahead and ask the girl and while at it, ask if he was any good. I dont think that he really thought I would ask...but I did. I walked up to her while in school and actually told her he asked me to ask her that. The look on her face told me what I needed to know.

I dated other guys, it seems like everyone I did date (trust me its not a ton of guys!) they would end up cheating. It was just before I met my husband that I gave my head a shake. I stood there and faced the lesson. Up till that point, i went along with any scenario that came before me. Accepted the people for who they were and did not give myself the opportunity to realize that I was WORTH more than that. Meaning, I was a good person, and did not deserve to have people treat me like crap. It was then that I vowed, that any man I did date would have to be honest. Should he cheat, the relationship would be over.. I met my then husband in a bar (which I predicted to my friends when I was 16, although not fully aware yet of my gifts). When we started to get serious, I told him that if he EVER cheat on me, it would be over. Whether we were still dating, engaged, married or with or without kids... I would walk away. He told me the same applied to him. It was when I realized that my lesson was as plain as the eye can see, and made the change to get away from my "routine" way of thinking that the lesson stopped repeating. My husband (been married now for almost 10 years and together for 15 years this month) has NEVER cheated on me, nor I him. He is honest to the point that sometimes I question why I even asked him that question! (hes definately the type that if you asked if you look fat in something, if you did, he would tell you yes).

So it was two days ago that I realized that another lesson is at work in my life. I guess you can call it an "awakening". Not that I have not had lessons prior to now, just this one really sticks out, which tells me its more of a "life" lesson rather than just a learning one.

For those of you who know me well.. I am generous. Not only with my time, money or what have you. I go out of my way to help people. I always have. This is not to toot my own horn and tell you what a wonderful person I am (although I am! lol) its to give you the "background" to this lesson.

I seem to without hesistation, offer my time and or money or whatever to people that I am not really "connected" to. This is not a "bad" thing at all nor am I complaining.. but I seem to at times really put myself "out" bending over backwards to try and help someone or do something for them and I ask myself now.. why? I know that it makes me feel good to be able to help people. my mom instilled that in me, but I think this lesson is trying to tell me that its okay to say no... that its okay to not do "everything" for everyone.

Example. I do daycare 5 days a week. I have three kids that have days scheduled throughout the week. My one daycare parent told me one morning during this week that a mutal friend had asked her to watch her 7 year old while her and her husband headed on a trip to mexico. The daycare parent is the step mom to this girl which is why she was asked first (after the bio dad canceled) I mentioned I would see what i could do to help, as my daughter and this 7 year old are great friends (they have sleep overs frequently). To make a long storey short, here i am, looking through my daycare schedule, seeing that three of those days I would have a "full house" of daycare which means no room in the van for the extra 7 year old. I immediately start to think on how i can "shuffle" things around to be more accomodating, figuring out if my inlaws could come part of the day while I shuffle kids back and forth to school. (not to mention this other 7 year old does not goto the same school anymore, so it would require more time and driving) basically.. I was REALLY putting myself out. Not only would it require alot more time/planning and a bit of a headache to do it, but the money involved with the traveling, the lunches/snacks that would be needed for school and the extra breakfast/dinner that would also be provided.. and I stopped still in my tracks and litterally had to ask myself why? Why was I going to re-arrange my entire life for a week for this woman that I have only met twice, and her boyfriend to goto mexico for a week? The answer was.... I have a hard time saying no. I literally feel guilty when I can't help someone. This is something that I really need to work on. Not just saying "no" because I think I would be put out....but paying attention to all of the factors. If it was family/close friend, I am sure I would still do it.. but otherwise, I really need to take a step back and figure out what I would need to do in order to help, rather than just jumping right in and doing it.

I tend to go overboard as well when I help, which I also think that I need to cut back on. Sometimes its about being more balanced and focused in your own life as it is to helping people. Now please do not read into this, as this does NOT apply to my psychic ability at all. I believe that I was given this gift and shown how to use to to help people.. and this will NOT change. I will ALWAYS help my clients to the best of my ability.

just in my personal life, I need to say "no".

here is another example. I have been friends with a girl for quite a few years. Shes been my husbands friends sister (following me? lol) anyways, we haven't really been in touch. Shes in a different city than me, and her brother and my husband dont really talk much (seperate paths). last year, she emailed me to play a baby game. She found out she was pregnant, and wanted everyone to guess the gender/weight..etc. I guessed boy and the date, and emailed her to ask how things were. We exchanged a few emails and I told her to let me know when she confirmed gender (she is not aware of my gifts - its never come up). Well.. no email. As her pregnancy continued, I have seen a few posts on her facebook wall of her pregnancy, no mention of gender. I posted a few hellos to her on her wall, sent her at least two messages on facebook, and no response.. Nothing :( Through mutal friends, have heard she was having a boy and that she was due in July/August. Well, about 2 weeks ago, I got an invite to a baby shower to come and meet the baby on the 16th of this month. My first instinct is to reply yes, and shower the baby with gifts.. Because this lesson had come up before I answered it, I clued in to it on a deeper level. Realizing that perhaps when treated "unfairly" its okay to say "no" to that event. Which is how I replied.. and this is the first time, I did not feel guilty for saying no.

I like to think of myself as a good friend, I am sure at times I have done my fair share of stupid or hurtful things, but they were unintentional and always apologized for if I have ever upset anyone. I really dont like people being mad:) So I think its also as much as "letting go" of someone thats been in your life when you know its time.

I would love to hear anyone elses feelings on this subject.. either life lessons, or perhaps you too taking on more than you should from other people, doing too much..being overly generous and not really realizing it.

Dont forget, the end of this month is the end of the contest for october, and I will announce the winner. So leave an email address or a login name so I can keep track of your "entries"

12 comments:

Amanda S. said...

I definitely think as of yesterday I have noticed as of now I do not have that "best friend" that everyone seems to have. I have plenty of nice friends and people I like, but not that super close friendship where you spill all of your deepest secrets and all of your thoughts with.

The reason for this is because everytime I do have a friendship like this this so called "best friend" always takes advantage of me, treats me poorly or is very controlling and bossy.

I would let these "best friends" apologize or I would somehow look away at all the things these friends would do.

So I am definitely going to voice my opinion in the future. Do not let people walk all over me and do not allow those toxic friends back into my life. I have just gotten to the point in my young life that I want to be treated like another person and I have finally discovered my backbone (and I use it quite well now lol).

I am going to end here before I go into a rant. My feelings are quite raw and fresh on this matter. I got badly burned by a toxic best friend and it still hurts. However, I am glad what I need to do in the future in general. I am sure there are other lessons as well. I am sure this is probably not my biggest lesson that needs to be learned.

Jaclin said...

I totally understand what you guys are talking about. I don't really have any friends, per say. Pretty much all of my friends are guys. I don't get along with women too much because of the "cattyness." I have been hurt very badly in the past. There are only 2 people I can say are my true friends, best-friends if you will. They respect me and do not cross the line. They have been my friends for years.

I have been taken advantage of, treated like s***, lied to, made fun of, etc... by so called friends. I used to think I gave too much and did too much...which I did...but that is who I am.

I am the type that will take you homemade chicken noodle soup when you're sick, clean your house if need me to, grocery shop, etc... I don't ask for anything in return except for respect and the truth.

I too have a problem saying no to people and feel bad if I do. I have learned, though, that I need to because people will take advantage of you in a heartbeat.

To all those people out there that are "bad" friends, I say this: "Why is it I am your best-friend when I loan you money or help you out with a problem, but when there is a moment that I cannot help you right away, I am a bitch or a bad friend?"

Lol...sorry if I got a little carried away, but that is what I tell people and how I feel. I am more than happy to help someone in need, but don't take advantage of me or refuse to help me when I am in need of help myself. True friends are always there for eachother, no matter what.

Candy218 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candy218 said...

Cheri,
I have a story for being overly generous and a life lesson.

I too have difficulty with giving more than I should to people. However I have gotten better in the last couple years. I used to bend over backwards for almost EVEYONE who needed a hand, because I felt sorry for them, or could understand or I was in a position to help. I slowly learned that most of the people that I was helping were not “true” friends even though I’ve known them for 6+ years. They never went out of their way to be there for me, and if I couldn’t be there for them, they would get pissy about it. Real friends don’t treat people like that. So I’ve slowly removed them one from one from my life. I’ve also gotten really good at telling people no. Top priority is me and my family. If I have time to help someone out and it’s not taking away from me, I’m more than willing. I am able to separate my feelings from the situation better now, which has played a major part in my happiness.

As for life lessons, they too keep popping up, same situation, different people. Some of the lessons I’ve learned and others still stump me. There’s this one person that keeps showing up in my life and I’m not really sure why. Just when I think he’s gone and there’s no way I think I’ll see him again (I avoid the places that he goes) , I’ll walk into somewhere that I wouldn’t normally be, and boom he’s there. I’m not sure what he’s supposed to teach me or why he keeps popping up, but I’m sure I’ll get the message sooner or later. I’ve asked my spirit guides and angels to guide me with the answer in my dreams, maybe I’ll finally learn and will be able to move on.

Cheri22 said...

Hey Candy:)

The reason he keeps popping up, is because you have not dealt with him in the "right" manner, but rather tend to just leave things be and "hide".. meaning you avoid people he knows, places he goes in the hope of just avoiding him.. so rather than delving into why you dont like him in the first place and putting that at rest, you avoid it.. almost like your avoiding anything unpleasant and confrontational. perhaps the lesson here is about "facing your fears" and allowing yourself to deal with him once and for all and release the effect he has on you... only then will you have learned that your stronger than what you think and that your capable of moving on:)

Unknown said...

Cheri -
Its like you just described me to a tee! I was the girl in highschool that everyone would come to to talk to about their problems and i was always there to help.. even for the boys that i was madly in love with and had to sit and listen to them talk to me about some other girl that they liked. I always seemed to pick the guys that didnt treat me like i know NOW that i should have been treated. My hubby now has told me time and time again that i need to take care of me first.. not just everyone elses feelings.. but I am like you... i dont like people to be mad.. and if i can help.. no matter the inconvenience to me.. i always try to find the way.

I have even had supposed 'friends' tell me that i am selfish and not a good friend... and i cry so hard when this happens.. because i know that i am generous and giving and bend myself backwards to be there and do things for friends. Like you I had to take a step back and realize that if a friend thinks im that horrible.. then maybe they arent really my friend. And I finally just had to learn to separate myself from those situations.

This is my favourite post of yours. I can relate so much... and its nice to know that there are other people out there like me *and you* :):)

on a plus note... happy thanksgiving.. i hope you were able to enjoy the long weekend with your family and friends!
:):)Danna

Candy218 said...

Thanks Cheri, I do have a tendency to avoid confrontation especially with this person because I feel that at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. But I suppose it does because I keep thinking about it, him and what I need to tell him. (or what I’d like to tell him). I’d like to address the issue and move on from it. No anger, just hey, this is what it is and this is how it has to be. So my gut tells me I might have this chance, and I should, I should be able to tell people how they have affected me and how I should be treated. So here’s hoping I get the chance and here’s hoping I get to move on like you said, almost like a weight lifted……….addressing the white elephant in the room sort of speaking ; )
Thanks again

ACrystalLilly said...

I definately can relate to this issue. I have had to learn things the hard way with this one. My main thing is doing everything for everyone and when I need them they are nowhere to be found. So much so that I stop asking for help with Everything.

My husband and I have done all sorts of things regarding computer work for people related and not and somehow not everyone pays for thier services and just assumes that it will be fine not to pay. Funny thing is that I have to pay full price for everything I buy and I dont get a discount just because I am a human being and dont have the money right now. I think the bottom line with computer work is that if anyone wants it done they now have to pay up front in full before work is done. I am still waiting for my sister in law to bring over a steam cleaner that a friend of hers said we could use anytime in exchange for a 65.00 fee. That was over 2 weeks ago... still waiting. Just a few days after my husband finished her work my SIS in LAW had left a voicemail saying that she didnt forget she was just busy. That was in September.... Isnt it now October?

Stacy said...

It's funny that you posted this, because I just noticed the same thing the other day. Mine, though, is mostly work-related. Any time my co-workers or bosses need something done, they always ask me. I am convinced that it's because they know that I can't say no. Late last week, I spoke with my boss about taking a day off next month, and he denied me! At first, I was so angry. I felt like I always do so much for them, and they have no problem saying no. I think my lesson that I've learned is that I ultimately have to make sure I'm happy, and if I can't help others, I should just say no. Otherwise, I'll be taken advantage of.

kate said...

This came up at our house a couple of days ago, I'm planning a family vacation. I've done tons of work, looking up deals getting the best place for the right price. I've arranged everything from car rental to car parking at the airport.
My neighbor called and she knew we were planning this holiday, she wanted the details. Now this is a person that doesn't share anything with me, I spilled and gave her lots of information. My husband was so ticked that I was sharing all my hard work, he wrote me a note, to stop telling her anything (as I was talking on the phone!)
I tend to put myself 'out there' not sure why, I think of myself as a nice person and I do like to share and perhaps get more of a friendship from the other person. Thanks Cheri for bringing this up, if anything it made me more aware to take care of me first and not get taken in by somebody just because I'm a nice person.

Marijke said...

I totally saw myself in your post. I hate saying no to people. I will do what I can to make sure that I don't have to say no. Even when it would mean that I would need to sacrifice something of myself.
A small example: I am going to a dinner tomorrow night to celebrate a friends bday. One of the other gals going lives in the far south of the city that we live in, and was looking for a ride to and from the event. I went so far as to write the email saying that I would drive her, but then I realized that I live about 2 blocks away from where we are meeting and it would be stupid for me to go and pick her up and take her home after when it would take time and gas to do it. So, I didn't send the email. At first I felt quite guilty for not doing it, but now I'm feeling okay about it.
Perhaps not a totally fitting example, but it works for me.
Marijke

Melissa said...

I'm still learning to recognize my own lessons