Recent Posts

Friday, August 8, 2008

Pregnant and acne, they do go hand in hand

Most women will either "glow" with pregnancy, or they will end up with acne due to the hormonal changes in their body. I actually ended up with this with my first pregnancy! It was ALL OVER my upper back and to me, was really bothersome. Thankfully it ended up clearing up in my second trimester. I was lucky that with my second pregnacy I got to skip this stage! I had a client email as shes gotten the pregnancy acne bad and is obviously not happy with it and I don't blame her. I thought perhaps that others might like to see the information I was able to uncover and be able to deal with their pregnancy acne (or even regular acne) a bit differently.

As always, before trying or taking something, consult with your dr or a natural path, as you never know when something might react with something you are currently already taking.

Approaches for Acne:
Aromatherapy: Apply a single drop of tea tree oil directly to the blemish after cleansing. Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic. It is gentle to the skin and speeds the healing of blemishes.

Acupressure: Stomach meridian is one of the several energy pathways that govern the skin functions. Acupressure, when practiced properly, can improve the appearance of your skin.

Juice Therapy: Use a blend of one part beet juice, three parts carrot juice and two parts water to stimulate the liver and to cleanse the system.

Reflexology: Try working the liver, adrenal gland, kidney, intestine, thyroid gland and diaphragm reflex points on your hands or feet.

Yoga: A series of five yoga poses can help increase blood flow to your face, flushing away toxins and providing nutrients to your skin. A daily routine of the following yoga poses are recommended: standing sun, knee squeeze, seated sun, baby and cobra.

The following information was provided by my client as well
Dermatologist products: I am using topical products from my derm which are pregnancy safe - Azaelic acid (finecia). Since I now have acne rosecea on my cheeks (thanks peanut!) he also ok'd metro gel (metronidadol) for the redness. (I was advised both take about 4 weeks before you see any difference). When I get REALLY desperate, I go to the derm. for a cortisone injection (I did so today). My ob approved it since it is a diluted version of cortisone and it is not intramuscular (like for asthma and such). I had severe cystic acne on my chin.. she got a couple of spots w/the injection today. Waiting to see how it looks tomorrow (as it takes 24 - 48 hours before you see any difference).

Benzoyl peroxide is considered a level "c" in pregnancy. Although my OB ok'd it, (he said "little doses).

Topical erythromicin is also ok during pregnancy. It burns your face and causes redness and peeling.. again so folks with sensitive skin should beware..

Because my acne is so bad, he ok'd oral erythromicin which is also pregnancy safe.

I also read something about placing "tumeric" on your face. Havent tried it yet...

Natural skin products; Tea tree oil combined with apple cider vinegar seems to work on "mild" acne - (removes small bumps overnight) however TTO is not officially studied during pregnancy (so not known effects). Its pretty strong so people should be aware of using too much on spots (if you have sensitive skin.. might burn and cause redness).

Food products: Radish also has natural sulfur in it which is supposed to help with acne. However the raw versions of any "root veggies" (like alfalfa & radish) like in salad's and such I read are not suggested since they may contain bacteria. I believe the cooked version is ok. I am going to try a recipe I found on food network this weekend that is the "cooked" version.

Carrots also are good antioxidants supposed to help with acne and redness. I have been eating a ton of them lately.

My ob basically said try to get your "acne" helpers in foods. I also bought a juicer that I hope will help me a bit too with adding more of the good acne food fighters..

One last good thing...Acupuncture has also helped me.. not only with stress.. but they have points that they can use for hormone reduction and also inflammation.

I also read that exercise is supposed to help acne since it increases blood flow to areas of the skin which helps push out toxins... I figure I could add some extra helping information to add to your site since you have been so helpful to me!
C.

0 comments: