Recent Posts

Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm back.... I think

I have been having fairly good days lately.. and then I get a bad one. Last night I had a dream.. my sister called me on the phone to tell me that my mother died. Now in my dream I was already aware that she was dead, so I had no clue as to how it could happen the second time.. Lets just say that its not easy hearing it the second time either!

So today was a rough day for me. I did have somethings that made it a bit brighter. I headed to my Mom's husbands house today to help him look for pictures. My mom's celebration of her life is being done this Sunday and we wanted to find pictures of her to put up for everyone to see. I mentioned to him, that if my mother kept her wedding rings from when she was married to my dad, that I would love to have them. My mom always talked about getting them melted and making necklaces for myself and my sister. We decided to search the jewelry box.

First and foremost, my mom was NOT Mrs Clean.. heck she was not even Mrs. Tidy. She seemed to leave stuff lying around everywhere. I would consider her Mrs. Cluttered. I think that partly due to her depression from previous and I am sure bouts of it at times, it was hard for her to organize things, put things away or even throw things away that didn't need to be kept. She kept everything! Anyways, he opened up the bottom drawer of the jewelry box and inside were two receipts.. the funny thing was that it was for two random things that just did not really "matter". Not like you needed to keep them. So we kinda laughed at that. The second drawer from the bottom contained a small, flat craft wooden PIGS HEAD.. yes.. that was what was in there. My mom's husband and I laughed pretty hard about that. It was almost like it was planted there to get a laugh out of us at that time. I sure needed it. I never found the rings we were looking for, but we realized that just from looking for pictures and the rings, that there are not only going to be memories attached to what we find when we start to sort out the house, but fun stuff too that I am sure will have us rolling in laughter.

As I was driving away from their house, I felt my mother watching from the patio. Sitting in the same grey chair she would always when she had her smoke and she waved. I wish I could have seen with my own two eyes, but will have to take comfort in seeing with my minds eye for now.

Tonight, after laying in my youngest bed with her trying to get her to finally fall asleep (was 10pm by the time it happened) someone sat on the corner of the bed.. only no one was there physically. I got a mental image of my mom again, just sitting.. offering support. Not saying anything (either out loud or mentally either).

I think today was a hard day as well as I had to pick up my mothers ashes. They will eventually be spread somewhere special. We are probably going to wait till closer to her birthday in June to decide where and as a family (me, my sister and my mothers husband) will go and do it together.

So, I am back online, I am back to answering emails and doing predictions. I am behind a few days with them, so please continue to be patient with me. I will do my best to keep going strong, while still trying to make sure that I allow myself the opportunity to grieve if I am having a bad day.

Thank you all for your kindness and support during this difficult time. I appreciate it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri

Glad you had some funny moments looking for those rings I am sure your Mum was laughing with you.

Lorna

Amanda said...

I'm glad you had fun going through her things. I'm sure it helps remembering the kind of person she was and the memories you shared.

Krystal said...

It's good you were able to laugh at the items she's had, and feel her presence as well. It's reassuring when we have those comforting moments.

*I am the Veteran, and the Wife* said...

Welcome back.. Its nice to know she is still with you..

Lynn said...

Hey Cheri,

Glad to hear you a had a good laugh (at least for a bit) when going through her things. Wonder if the pig's head means anything? I remember doing that with my mothers stuff and it was extremely hard. I know what you mean when you feel your mom watching you. When i go to my dads house i can still see my mom sitting in her chair in the bedroom (imagining it). And she's been gone for 8 years now.

Take care.

Lynn

Jaclin said...

Glad your back Cheri! Take all the time you need sweetie...we understand! Maybe your mom has moved the rings around...like hide and seek...to make you guys smile and have a laugh! I hope her celebration is beautiful and she can be there to see the love you guys have for her!

Unknown said...

Hi Cheri
I am glad that you and you guys were able to find some laughs in regards to your moms pack rattedness :) hehehe... i know how hard it can be to pack up stuff, but I too found it comforting sometimes to come across something that held a really special memory or moment. I also remember those dreams where mom was dying again...and i knew she was gone but i was still trying to figure out how to make it in time to say goodbye!

We did a celebration for my mom too through pictures so I thought maybe I woudl make a suggestion. We bought a couple of large bristol boards and did one that had the labels "WIFE" and "MOTHER" - which was all pictures of her with us and my dad, and then another one that said "DAUGHTER" "SISTER" "FRIEND" and held pictures of her with her siblings, and friends. We also had little collages of her doing things she loved.. like gardening and painting...I got lots of compliments on it because so many people were able to see themselves with my mom and hang onto that special memory during the service. I still havent taken them apart.. adn its been two years.. but every now and then I like to pull them out and look at them. My mom also painted.. and we had some of her framed artowrk around... it is amazing how close mom felt by having some of those things there :)

Hope you continue to have more good days.
Danna

LoriN said...

It's good to hear you 'connected' with your mom, and that you were able to have some laughter too:)

Cheri22 said...

HI Danna

Wish I had heard of your idea before about seperating the collages like that. I think that would have been a fantasitc idea and had an amazing effect! I left the responsibilty to my two Aunts, and gave them the pictures.. I guess on Sunday I will see how it all turned out:)

Thanks everyone!

Onmymind17 said...

I am sorry for the loss of your mom, but you have helped me with this message, i lost my dad Oct 08 i still feel him here, i have had dreams of him and he is telling me that he is happy and will not leave us, its great that you can see her.