Recent Posts

Monday, June 16, 2008

Trust your gut instinct!

I might have mentioned this before, but after what happened to me on Thursday I want to make sure to point this out again. We all get a "gut instinct" either about someone in particular or a situation at hand. Most times, I would like to think that everyone heeds their feelings but I know like most people, we often second guess ourselves. Giving someone the benefit of the doubt, or changing our minds in regards to a specific situation because we did not listen to ourselves. I have to say that its usually our spirit guides and loved ones that help with this "gut instinct" and are really trying to tell you something. If you actually stop and listen, and heed the warning, you will find that this feeling gets stronger with each use, like a "gift" and is more accurate than not.

My storey starts on Saturday the 7th. My husband gets a phone call from a company that wants to come and check our gas appliances, telling my husband that the fire department suggests doing this once a year. They would come by on the weekday, clean out the furnace and do a 31 point inspection of all of our gas appliances. So my husband tells them to call back on Monday and talk to me. They do, and I feel "uneasy" about the situation, but go ahead with it as my husband thinks its a good idea, and they are only going to charge 89.00 to do the inspection and cleaning. I feel uneasy about the situation as they called on a Saturday and just seemed "odd".. okay fine.

Monday comes along and they book the appt for Thursday around 12pm. They called me Wednesday night at 6:50pm to confirm the appt. Again this is something else that just seems "odd" to me as you would "assume' That they would call during normal business hours to confirm. Again I had a bad feeling, but continued on, thinking it was the best interest of my family to have this done. I even felt I should call someone else, and be the one to call, rather than just using someone who called me...

Well the guy shows up, is very nice, friendly and gets to work. Comes out and asks me how old our hot water tank is. I told him I am not sure, as we just bought the house 2 years ago and can't recall what the paper work says. He then tells me that he KNOWS its older than 8 years old, and that if something happened to our house, our house insurance would be void because of how old it is. Then he tells me he detected gas! Suggests getting the whole thing replaced, and tells me the hot water tank is on special this month and I can get a 50 gallon for the price of a 40. Okay, I tell him to write out a quote and I will talk to my husband about it. Then he tells me something is wrong in the furnace as well and it needs to be replaced. Again I ask him to write it out, and I will mention it to my husband.

Well he cleaned the furnace, or so I thought, I paid him the 89.50 (plus tax) and when he left I immediately called another company asking for how much it would be to have them come and do an inspection. I explained what happened, and they basically felt that I was about to be scammed. The guy came in this morning (he just left right now!) and told me that there is NO GAS LEAK! He also said that the hot water tank we have is in good condition and actually made by one of the best hot water companies, where as the other guy told me the brand we had was very bad. He then took a look at the furnace, where the part that was "supposed" to be going and informed me that all of this brand makes that noise, and does not need to be replaced. He then asked if the guy cleaned the "cells" and when he opened it up, they were dustier than heck! So the guy only wiped down the furnace from previous, and not cleaned it as he was supposed to!

So needless to say, that although having the second guy come in to do an inspection cost me another 105.00, it certainly saved me the 1500-2000.00 that the first guy insisted I needed to spend!

So like I said, trust in yourself, and you will find that your often able to divert some otherwise expensive situations!

0 comments: