Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Kids starting school = colds/flus and germs!

Well, my daughter is back to school and its been two weeks and we are already suffering from our first cold! Started off with the little one, then our eldest and myself got it. Its plugging up my left ear and my left nose, which is funny because how can a cold only affect the left side of your body and not the right? (not that I want it to balance itself out or anything!)

So, now I am sure that this is something that is going to be a frequent thing in our house.I am hoping people have tips on how to try and prevent this? My husband drove me nuts last night. I guess I was snoring because of my cold and he thought that waking me up 5 times last night to tell me that i was snoring was a good thing! How am I supposed to get better if I am not getting a good nights sleep? The little one already wakes me up during the night at times, I don't need him too! I swear I will get even! (okay not really, I can usually tune out his snoring if I choose)

I was reading this article in the Today's Parent magazine about "going green". I already do a few things here myself, but always open to more things (I recently switched all chemicals to shaklee to reduce the amount of chemicals in our house to basically zero) Anyways, did you know that doing laundry in "non-peak" times is actually good? I had no idea it really mattered? They said from 10am to 5pm is non-peak and from 10pm till 5am is also non-peak time. So I have just put a load in and will see how well I can stick to this and try and reduce the amount of energy. Here we also pay for our energy use, so perhaps this will save money? (who knows I guess I will find out)

Okay, so today is the last give away for the secret psychic, and I have another person in mind to start next week and will see if they are interested before giving out any information. I always believe that people come into your life at certain points to help along the journey, friendship or lessons...etc.

So to be entered to win for this contest, you need to either provide a tip about going green (how to reduce your impact on the earth) or provide a tip on keeping germs at bay! (colds/flu's) You have until Wednesday night to participate! I will announce the winner tomorrow night.

(speaking of flu's, anyone getting vaccinated for the H1N1 (swine flu?)

14 comments:

Jackie R said...

Some things we use in our house are natural cleaning products and running the washer only using the cold cycle. Also, for germs, we try to open the windows as much as possible, even in the winter if only for a few minutes. We also buy allergy reducing filters for our furnace and vents.

ty206 said...

I unplug my power strips at night. I have seen the results on my electric bill! You can also reuse reusable plastic bags.

Krystal said...

For energy efficiency in the home, have you checked to make sure there's those little covers behind your outlets? I'm talking about Foam covers

As for colds - there's emergency C, which will give you in more vitamin C. Sanitizer wipes or pumps as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh have I a great list for you! Going "green" so to speak is great and whats encouraging is the amount of $$ you save!!

* fill a plastic liter bottle with rocks and put it in your toilet tank (the back part)-- this helps reduce the amount of water wasted

* turn off your furnace in the summer, and turn DOWN the degrees on the water heater to the lowest you can tolerate

* unplug EVERYTHING, from the microwave to the computer to the cellphone chargers when your not using them. (this has saved me almost $20 a MONTH!)

* You can clean almost everything with white Vinegar and baking soda

*but my #1 favorite is the REUSABLE shopping bags.. you can fit so much more in them, and you dont end up with a million of those little plastic ones!!!

Patty D. said...

keeping germs down use sanitizer pumps or the wipes....I'm on my kids about always washing hands when they get home because of germs.

we try to reuse bags, even drink bottles the 2 liters to make cool aid in...

Nicole said...

There are lots of great tips on your blog! I keep two containers of anti-bacterial wipes in my van, to wipe down shopping carts or the kids hands.

I bought my kids a neat lunch set called laptop lunches. It's an all-in-one container to keep their lunch items in separate containers and avoid using plastic baggies.

Laurie said...

Go Green: We switched to florescent lighting throughout our home and unplug items when not in use. We donate select items to the school system. Example potato chip bags and they get money or credit to go towards school supplies when they turn them in. The company keeps the items as they are and makes something else out of the bags. They make purses etc. Changing to solar power would be beneficial to all.

One last thing was your hands. It has been all over the news that the best way to cut down on the spread of the flu is to wash, wash, and wash some more. Don’t forget one important thing and that is teaching our children to cough into their elbow and I have been teaching my little one to cough into her shirt. This is easier for her.

Niki said...

I've been thinking of going green too.....starting with Energy Efficiency......guess I should take a nap!!! :)

No seriously- I don't have anything to add that has not already been mentioned. Some I knew, and do...others I learned from reading the comments so thanks!!

and yes the flu, I do plan on getting the H1N1 Vacc.
I had the regular flu this year and if the swine flu is worse..I DO NOT WANT IT!
I keep hand sanitizer around, home, purse, office and car! and I am constantly getting my son to wash his hands and washing mine too.
I also keep myself, hubby and son on vitamins. I give me and my hubby xtra C
I hope you get to feeling better!

dezerea said...

As for going green... I am a big beliver in the compact florecent bulbs. I also keep the air at a constant temp instead of turning the heat or a/c up and down only when at home, by doing this I have noticed that the air doesn't run as much

Tracy said...

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that some germs are actually good. My sisters family is ALWAYS sick (and I mean always, they get over a cold and bam get another) because she is such a germaphobe that she is always lysoling or bleaching everything that can be.

My family never did get as sick as much as my sisters because I am not quite as bad as a germaphobe as my sister. But when we would get a cold I would make sure if I blow my nose I automatically wash my hands or use hand sanitizer. If I touched something such as the TV control I would spray it with lysol so that helped reduce the chance of anyone else catching my cold. Also when I feel like I am getting sick I go to the acupuncturist and tell them my symptoms I did this when I got that summer cold in July and most of the time a couple days later I feel a ton better. Acupuncture works wonders for other things other then being sick, if you have not tried it you really should.
Another thing I have done is try to reduce stress which makes you more suseptable to getting sick. I did this by getting regular exercise, not only did it help reduce stress but I also lost 65#'s and I got pregnant after I was told it would take IVF for me to ever have another baby,(now if it had just been in the right place... but that is another story). All these things have worked great. I had not been sick for 2 years until I caught the July cold.

Unknown said...

I have reusable shopping bag; use only cold water for laundry and CFL bulbs. And I just got my Shaklee products today! Can't wait to start cleaning.

Jodi said...

We recycle EVERYTHING!... even though we live in a smaller area - if you look - there is someone who will take whatever you want to recycle!
i don't know where to even start on what we've changed - cold water only for washing, lowering the temp on the hot water heater, rechargable batteries, coffee grounds for my garden... the list goes on and on!
most areas have (but most people don't know)what is known as *freecycle*. you'd be amazed at what others use that you would normally throw away! i love it!

Unknown said...

Everyone should wash their hands frequently using regular soap and water. Antibacterial soaps aren't really good for the body and can make bacteria more resistant. Hand sanitizers are OK as they are usually alcohol based. It's also important to keep your hands away from your face throughout the day. Especially avoid touching your eyes.

As for going green switching to products that are free of parabens and phthalates is a good place to start.

trying1009 said...

For myself and my husband, we use reuseable bags. Receyle everything we can. Unplug things when we are not home. Share the shower to save water... lol...;)Cuddle on a cold night to safe on turning up the heat....ha ha For germs and things use the inside of your elbow to sneeze, maybe try sanizter handwashers.
Cheers...