Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Another storey to inspire!

My client just got a bfp and said she would share her storey of her journey in order to provide hope to those of you still on your trying to conceive journey. Here is her storey

After having no trouble getting pregnant with our son (4 months, no OPK, no temping, nothing), we started TTC #2, expecting a similar experience.
We hoped to have 3 or 4 children, and we were both 35 when our son was born, so time was of the essence!
I am a planner and I had it all mapped out, so that I would go back to work from maternity leave, for just long enough to be eligible to take another year off (the advantage to living in Canada - the 1 year mat leave). We started trying as soon as we hit a month (Oct '07) where the EDD would land within these parameters. Being more 'savvy' about the ways of TTC, this time we started out using OPKs (thank goodness for the Internet cheapies!).
After 4 months, we got a BFP, just like last time, and we thought things were falling into place just perfectly. At 8w5d I went for my first u/s only to find that what they found was measuring 5w6d, with no heartbeat. We went through the torture of holding onto hope for a week, waiting to go back for a follow up, only to get more bad news. A D&C ended our innocence on the TTC front.
We took a couple of months to recoup and got a BFP again in June '07, only to have spotting, that turned into bleeding by the time I reached 5w3d.
We continued to try after that for months, with no luck. In January '08 we decided to go to an RE to see what they thought was going on.
We went through some testing (not enough really) and started out on Metformin (1000mg/day) Clomid in Feb '08. We did 3 cycles of Clomid, 1 with IUI, all with no luck. I was ovulating on my own before, and always had regular cycles (slightly less regular then before I had my son, but still 27-31 days on average).
Since this wasn't working we moved on to trying Injectibles and IUI. In June '08 we did our first injectibles cycle and got a BFP. Only to have it all end with spotting, and bleeding at 5w3d, exactly like the last time, right down to the day of the year (July 1st is not a good date for me). Because it ended on it's own and my HcG levels were down to nothing right away (so they must have not risen at all past my 2 blood tests), we started right away on a 2nd round on Injectibles/IUI. This second cycle again we got a BFP. I made sure that they did more beta checks this time, and after 3 consecutively doubling levels, we were feeling positive. At 7 weeks we went for our first u/s and what they found was (once again) measuring 5w6d, with no heartbeat. We waited a week, and once again, things had not progressed, and I had to have a D&C.
At this point , any confidence I had with this RE, was completely gone by then, and we decided to try somewhere new. I got a name of an RE from some friends, and we made our first appointment. The new RE spent an hour with us on our first visit (which is more time then we got with the last RE the whole time we were patients there). He was known for his aggressive approach, and his thorough testing. He did a lot of testing, some repeats of before, some new angles. On Dec 1 '08 we started our first cycle being monitored by this new RE. He put me on a prescription prenatal vitamin, and changed the Metformin dosage to 3000mg/day (he told me the last dosage was like 'spitting in the wind'), other then that it was a natural cycle. One test that I had was a Sonohysterogram. I had had one before (and an HSG as well), but the previous ones lasted about 5 minutes, this one was 20-30 minutes.
On Dec 27 '08 on a whim I decided to poas, because I wanted the bad news sooner then later (and we had a house full of people coming the next day), and was shocked to see 2 lines! My RE watched me very closely with beta draws every 2 days for a week, and then weekly blood work and u/s until 10 weeks.
My beta levels rose beautifully the first week and then slowed down, but continued to rise (the highest I think I heard was 24,000), but at 7 weeks, there was a beautiful heartbeat, and every week after that it was still there!
I am now just over 14 weeks and things are still looking good! I have no idea what it was that worked, the important thing is that it did!
Cheri's original prediction for me was March - and the with my first m/c we got our BFP in mid Feb (which wasn't far off of March), with our 2nd m/c my EDD was Feb 29. When I told Cheri about what we were going through she gave me a new prediction of September. And when I told her about us going to the RE she said she also saw June playing a role, but that she was sticking with September, m/c #3 we conceived and found out in June. Cheri also told me that the testing would take time, but that it would be an easy fix, she couldn't have been more right!
Now I am due September 7th, and in 5 weeks I hope to find out if she was right about it being a girl!

Audrey C.

If you have a storey you would like to share, please email cheri22@gmail.com. I do provide an exchange of a reading bypass (worth 10.00) for your storey as a way to "trade". I feel that inspirational stories really help people and put them in a more positive mind frame, and I too love to help people!

7 comments:

Suzie said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It truly is inspirational for women like me who are having problems with infertility. I just purchased a prediction from you a couple of days ago and I can't wait to hear what you have to say! I will most definitely update you when it is my time! Please keep posting these! I just LOVE reading them.

Suie said...

A sad story with a beautiful ending!
All the luck in the world hun. So pleased for you. :0)

Suie xx

trying1009 said...

Thank you for posting that wonderful story. It seems like I too am m/c at around 5 weeks and so many days. I was also told to take metformin but it makes me so sick so I am trying the natural why and having acupucture treatments done. So I'm praying it works for us.....

Anonymous said...

What a great story. Thank you for sharing it.
Wishing you all the look ing the world with the rest of your pregnancy.
Lisa xxx

Anonymous said...

So happy for you and your baby - best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy. Hope to share my story in a few months!

Kimberley said...

What a wonderful ending to a heartbreaking story. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck to you in your pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

I also had my first and only loss at 5 weeks. What is it about that 5 week mark?